Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild questions ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Engine rebuild questions ?'s

I'm thinking of rebuilding the motor.I need to know what machine work needs to be done.I know all bearings have to be replaced.

Rods resized?
Crank ground or polished?
Cylinders Honed?
Block Decked?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What are your goals for this engine when it goes back together ?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Basically a stock rebuild and maybe a small cam.Using the stock rods,pistons,crank.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobZ
Basically a stock rebuild and maybe a small cam.Using the stock rods,pistons,crank.
Then I would do all the bearings (cam, crank, rods). Have the block honed and decked. Have the heads shaved a bit to get them straight, new valve seals and have the guides checked. Get the rods checked, and throw some ARP bolts on them. New oil pump, timing chain, push rods and lifters. Also choose the cam you want so the machine shop can install new valve springs (rated for your cam) when they are going through your heads.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
Then I would do all the bearings (cam, crank, rods). Have the block honed and decked. Have the heads shaved a bit to get them straight, new valve seals and have the guides checked. Get the rods checked, and throw some ARP bolts on them. New oil pump, timing chain, push rods and lifters. Also choose the cam you want so the machine shop can install new valve springs (rated for your cam) when they are going through your heads.
I don't know everything about engines, but I agree 100% with you!! I'm doing the exact same thing as the OP except a different set of heads (799 castings). And my list is exactly the same as yours except I didn't think about decking the block. But that's on the list now too!!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
I don't know everything about engines, but I agree 100% with you!! I'm doing the exact same thing as the OP except a different set of heads (799 castings). And my list is exactly the same as yours except I didn't think about decking the block. But that's on the list now too!!
You may not have to deck the block but with aluminum you should always have the machine shop check just to be safe. No need for leaky head gaskets right after the engine has been out.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket question -- New User

Hello I am new to the site but very impressed with evryones knowledge. I have a question about head gaskets on 1998 LS6 block and 241 heads. I took the old gaskets to the local dealer ( 12558810 ) and they had some difficulty looking them up and then said the new updated gasket in 12589226. I found out later after installing them that they are for a 1999 + LS1. Has anyone swapped these gaskets and had any problems? I would love to know now while its still on the stand.