General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Stuck Down - doesn't seem like motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Stuck Down - doesn't seem like motor issue

I rolled my driver side window down today and now it won't roll back up. I've had several motors fail through my history with these cars and this doesn't seem like the typical motor failure. There was no indications of the motor slowing down - it just stopped responding to the window switch.

The only thing I've down is verify the plug on the back of the window switch plate was secure. Before I start tearing into my window, does anyone have an educated guess on what it may be?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are about 3 "typical" ways the motors fail. (that I know of) This is one: (See below with the most frustrating last.)
- Thermal cutoff switch failure.
- Internal corrosion.
- Just died without warning.

This happened to me in a blizzard on the PA turnpike once. You should be thankful its summer! You should keep trying it. Sometimes in this failure mode, it will come up after sitting for a while. If it does, don't put it down until you have a replacement motor! You may not be able to get it up next time.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May just be off the tracks. If the motor isn't dead it will make noise like it's trying to work, but the window won't move. If there is no motor noise then she's a goner

Quick Reply: Window Stuck Down - doesn't seem like motor issue