LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Electrical Concern

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Electrical Concern

I have a 94Z8 that I’m adding bolt on upgrades to. In the process of adding parts like an MSD ignition / Electric water pump ect. I discovered a potential problem. While double checking my wiring prior to hooking the battery up and doing a test fire – I’ve found an area of concern while using an OHM meter. With 1 lead touching a positive feed in the junction block (Red Oval box on the passenger side of the car) and the other to a chassis ground – my meter reads ~2.5 on the 200k setting. I expected to find no reading on the meter, which has lead to a lot of probing on the car. I’m at a complete loss and need help. The factory wire harness had three sets of wires that hook into that box. There is one set of Red wires (two hooked together by a ring terminal) each with a fuse link, that when measured to a ground report 0ohms on my meter. Those wires feed into the fuse block. The car does start, and run well with no hesitation. At ~700rpms the voltage guage in the car is lower then expected, but quickly jumps to 14.2v or higher at 1000 +. I attributed this to the BBK pulley – not sure if that’s true or not. My greatest concern though is the readings I pick up while probing positive feed wires to a chassis ground. Am I chaising a non-issue?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

IIRC that box is always hot, and yes the fluctuation in voltage can be from an underdrive pulley. The solution is to use an overdrive pulley on the alternator. If you do not you may end up w/ a dead battery in a few months.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JLs94Z
I... I’ve found an area of concern while using an OHM meter. With 1 lead touching a positive feed in the junction block (Red Oval box on the passenger side of the car) and the other to a chassis ground – my meter reads ~2.5 on the 200k setting. I expected to find no reading on the meter, which has lead to a lot of probing on the car. I’m at a complete loss and need help. .... Am I chaising a non-issue?
If you are taking an ohm reading in the presence of voltage, it is a non-issue. Ohm readings are used on non-energized circuits.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Thank you for both replies above. This is my first time posting to the site - it’s great to receive quick and helpful advice! Thanks again. Jason
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Many times, taking a resistance reading on a hot circuit will cause a fuse to blow inside the meter. Check your meter manual to make sure this didn't just happen to you.

Quick Reply: LT1 Electrical Concern