Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e trans swap (known good) doest shift 23or4...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e trans swap (known good) doest shift 23or4...

I swapped a known good 4l60e from a 2004 chevy express(awd) into a 99 silverado(4wd). The silverado lost 3 and 4 at the same time, then the next day 2 and most of 1 except when it was cold. The fluid was beyond burned. So we had a known good 4l60e from a 2004 chevy express awd van. Same output , everything. ..........it worked perfectly in the van....we had pulled it for a 4l80e swap. Anyways, get doner in and works fine in p r n and od, but only goes into 1st. and refuses to shift? Even with hp tuners commanding it. I assume its a wiring but the gm manual disc was accidentilly broken that has the wiring diagrams for em......so help please!

Ofcourse I reused the original 4 wd transfer case.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt please any known wiring diagrams?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for power at the trans. Pin E.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried swapping wiring harness's from one trans to the other cause somene on the silverado board said they were different. They are not but I did it anyways. I also swapped the shift solinoid block and one other solinoid because the harness plug was different.

Still the same....but I did notice that if I run it on a jack stand, it will go 70 mph at 2000 rpm....doesnt even set the abs light though? Driving it....it wont shift at all. auto matically or manually.

pin e? huh......
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt again.......any trans guys in here anymore?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any chance the trans gets power through the o2 sensor? It has a not ready on the o2, but I dont know why? It looks like the o2 sensor harness was rubbing the frnt driveshaft but still appears ok, but I havnt dug into it.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats part of the harness has the O2 sensors on it look and see if the wires got pinched between bell housing or if theyare borken
Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has power, it commands the shifts, in works on jack stands. It DOES NOT shift when on the road.

It will go into some other gear (3000 rpm at 50) but then fall out as throttle applies.
I also changed the nuetral position switch, with a new one with the alignment rod and it has a range switch error.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the harnesess well, They appeared identical. I sawpped them anyways. Along with the tcc solinnoid, and the trans pressure control solinoid. No change. It goes into p r n and 1st. I then drained it again, pulled the 1/2 and 2/3 shift solinoids, worked the 1/2 rod/plunger by hand then swapped the solinoids, (not the wiring).

No change.

I have hp tuners, and when running on the jack, it commands and shifts, all the way up. Via watching the speedo while on the jack. On the road, it does NOT shift. If I wind out 1st, and let off it will go into another gear, either 2 nd or 3 rd, (its 3000 rpm is 50) but if I accelerate alittle to hard it falls out and back to first. First freewheels, all the time and manually selecting a gear does nothing but it will not shift up into the above described gear if manually selected, even 3rd.

I also swapped pcms, with another that I reflashed to stock then to the modded tune that was in the truck for the last year or so, still no change.

I probed pin e its got power.

It does have a range switch error which will cause a limp mode, but I changed the nuetral position switch with a new one with the alignment bar on it still, and it still sets the same code. range switch error. The shifter lights the indicator except p and n....I tried probing pin D on the range switch plug harness, and could not get a + volt reading. I can not find out were power should come from or if its 5 v or 12 v.

In the wiring diagram I couldnt really read, (online) it appeared the ac pressure switch is in the same line, and I know the trucks ac is nt working but I dont know why. I cant find any blown fuses either.

Im tired of this, I d never buy anything with a 4l60e pile of crap. I already have a 4l80e rossler trans for my van and now I cant wait to get it in there.