LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cracked radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked radiator

So I got to work not too long ago and my car was running the worst that I have ever seen. I would go full throttle and I got no response, or rather a 3 second delay in response.
Anyway, I parked it and popped the hood to discover the radiator had cracked right below the fill cap, and possibly somewhere else. Is it possible the water pump failed and caused it to run hot? Or maybe the thermostat got stuck? From what I have seen it's common for high milage LT1 radiators to crack like this.
I need to fix this right away. I'm probably gonna replace the waterpump just to be safe. Anyone know if cheap ebay radiators are any good?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is it cracked on the plastic part only? If so you can do a little bit of plastic welding with some Bernz-O-Matic and a black zip tie
Of course it's not recommended by many, but it does work for awhile.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
So is it cracked on the plastic part only? If so you can do a little bit of plastic welding with some Bernz-O-Matic and a black zip tie
Of course it's not recommended by many, but it does work for awhile.
No, the aluminum is actually cracked from the high pressure from within. It's like the side of it where it's not hidden by the support, right under the cap. My car looked like a volcano.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eww. Well either way, a radiator can be patched if the crack is fairly small. I just bought an OE radiator when mine went out.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to mine and my sister Z28's. I would replace the whole thing. Not sure about the water pump though. You could take the thermostat out and check it to make sure its opening.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Johnny,

Look up Blackburn's radiator shop in Bossier. He will hook you up with a good deal.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like your radiator is history. I would find it difficult to believe your water pump was the cause. Replace the radiator and if you think the thermostat needs it too, do it. I think that is your best course of action.

Question though did you ever look at the temp gauge to see how hot it got? From your description (which happened to me years ago) it suggests the gauge was in the red. Only other thing on my mind is how long you drove it like this. Either way good luck with your car.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Might as well just get a new oem radiator so it doesnt do it to you again....and might as well do a thermostat while your at it since theyre only like $15
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by davidhouston23
Johnny,

Look up Blackburn's radiator shop in Bossier. He will hook you up with a good deal.
I'll see what he's got.

Originally Posted by musclehead
Sounds like your radiator is history. I would find it difficult to believe your water pump was the cause. Replace the radiator and if you think the thermostat needs it too, do it. I think that is your best course of action.

Question though did you ever look at the temp gauge to see how hot it got? From your description (which happened to me years ago) it suggests the gauge was in the red. Only other thing on my mind is how long you drove it like this. Either way good luck with your car.
Yeah it's toast, i was driving for about 10 minutes with it acting up, but I knew that if I stopped I'd be stuck, it just felt like that kind of problem, so I chugged on to work. The temp gauge was pretty high but not in the red.

Originally Posted by Spiers
Might as well just get a new oem radiator so it doesnt do it to you again....and might as well do a thermostat while your at it since theyre only like $15
The thermostat is part of the plan.

Quick Reply: Cracked radiator