Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting my hood

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Painting my hood

I have Carbon fiber stripes on my bird right now! I hate the way you can feel them and I don't really want to clear over them. Looking to repaint them but kinda want the carbon fiber look. My wheels are gun metal. Wondering if I painted the stripes a dark grey with some light grey and silver metal flake would it look kinda like it? The painter wants to do some ghost flames on it! I'm just not sure about that. So if anyone has some pics of painted stripes close to this I would love to see them. Plus would like your thoughts of other colors for my pewter.

Last edited by ta-stanger; 06-06-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a recent thread where several people mentioned that shops can do a paint job that is made to look like carbon fiber. So that may be an option.

i forget what thread it was, but i know black_sheep was one of the people who brought it up, so maybe he'll chime in here.

other than that, i think a gunmetal color, really close to the rims, with the metal flake would look great. But hell, i'd keep it how it is now, i love your stripe/rim combo, they look perfect with the pewter
Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I watched a paint guy shoot the carbon fiber look, and it was simple. They laid the black paint first, then took some non slip drawer mat and laid that over the paint, then sprayed a gray pain lightly over the mat and lifted it off. I tried it on some of my old car parts and it looked good. After the clearcoat was shot it actually looked very close to carbon fiber.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

If you like your stickers enough..clear over it. This will keep the stickers from pealing up and help with fading over time. With 3 to 4 coats and then wetsanded..you wont feel anything! Another thing, if someone does paint them on there..I bet more than likely you will still feel very very little but will feel tape lines...Unless they want to do it right and put a few extra coats of clear on it! Another thing, Have the paint matched to the wheels..

Flames are gay btw!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bruce the guy that works for tim can actually paint carbon fiber, and is pretty damn good at it. just a thought!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Jim. I'm trying to do a trade out for the job first :>) What would he charge for the two strips on the hood and a few coats of clear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting my hood