Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imput on my build

Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Imput on my build

Hi guys my name is Scott, about 2 weeks ago i took the plunge and purchased a nice Z28. Car is a 6-speed and is in pretty good shape. In fact its the nicest car i've ever owned. I come from an import back ground and prveiously owned a 240fwhp integra (im open to flames ).

I have some money to invest but im not going to lay a hard number down as there is no deadline in my effort to stockpile parts and i am willing to wait as long as needed to meet my goal.

However, having said that i am not looking to spend every last dollar on the very best parts. No cheap junk. Just nothing over the top.

I already have a SLP lid on the car. A FTRA on the way as well as Pacesetter LT's and TSP tru duals.

I am going to install DMH dual cut outs before magnaflow hi-flow cats. The cats are a must in this small town for inspection reasons.

Also, ordering a MGW shifter very soon. As well as a SLP UD pulley.

Now here is the parts were a need some advice. I am chasing a number around 470rwhp. Having that in mind i am considering the following:

TSP 2.5 heads
LG G5x3 112lsa cam
Pro products 96mm Intake manifold
with a Nick Williams 90 TB

The fast 90/90 is out of my price range. But my question is how does this head and cam sound considering my goal. I have really looked into AFR 205's
but the tsp's can be had for much less. Like i said if a different set of heads is what i truly need i am willing to wait as long as i need.

I have also read about custom cams being the best? If so what company could give me a good grind?

I should also tell you that i am aware that the a clutch and rear end are going to be needed. I have this in my mind and will have these parts will be installed immediately after the car is tuned. I am 20 minutes from Tick Performance and plan to have everything installed by them and let RCMforless do my dyno tuning.

I have reading on here alot and use my search button religiously. I just thought it was time for my own thread.

Thanks a lot and i apologize for the long thread.

ANY and ALL input is appreciated and if i am totally wrong PLEASE tell me. I'm here to learn.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump for no replies
Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday is kinda slow...

I can tell you that I have a 224/228 Comp Cam, Diamond HiC Pistons, 243 Heads, LS6 intake, and Hooker headers... among many other small mods and I'm probably going to be looking at around 440 rwhp. Can't say for sure until my tuner gets it up on the dyno though.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, you waste no time for the parts! I'd save the cash on the cutouts and put it toward the rear end or clutch. What year is your car? If you've got an 01 then I'd probably hold off until you can afford a fast as I seem to remember the professional products manifold not being that much better than an LS6 intake.

Your head choice is good, as well as the cam, but I think in this situation I'd consult with TSP directly and tell them your goals and I know they could set you up with the appropriate cam/springs/etc. The guys at Tick are also good. On a stock bottom end car I doubt you'll be plunging into any new territory as far as parts or HP numbers. For that reason, and since it sounds like you want to buy it all in one shot (instead of over years) I'd just go with what the experts recommend... because no doubt the guys at Tick and TSP have handled this situation before (to include doing their own research and development on their own parts).

I doubt there is a need for a custom grind cam. You should have plenty of options available on the shelf. You'll be building a car around the heads/cam from the beginning so I'd shoot for a combo that was designed around your build.

Don't forget about the S60 in the rear end when pricing...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Man, you waste no time for the parts! I'd save the cash on the cutouts and put it toward the rear end or clutch. What year is your car? If you've got an 01 then I'd probably hold off until you can afford a fast as I seem to remember the professional products manifold not being that much better than an LS6 intake.

Your head choice is good, as well as the cam, but I think in this situation I'd consult with TSP directly and tell them your goals and I know they could set you up with the appropriate cam/springs/etc. The guys at Tick are also good. On a stock bottom end car I doubt you'll be plunging into any new territory as far as parts or HP numbers. For that reason, and since it sounds like you want to buy it all in one shot (instead of over years) I'd just go with what the experts recommend... because no doubt the guys at Tick and TSP have handled this situation before (to include doing their own research and development on their own parts).

I doubt there is a need for a custom grind cam. You should have plenty of options available on the shelf. You'll be building a car around the heads/cam from the beginning so I'd shoot for a combo that was designed around your build.

Don't forget about the S60 in the rear end when pricing...
I have the 00 year intake manifold which is why im changing.

Would it be worth going trick flow cast 220's or afr's???

Im also going to be running the duals out the back and wanted to have the cutouts for play time as well as hp scavenging
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well first of all, welcome to the world of TORQUE !

Sounds like youve got a nice want list there. I agree on passing on the cutouts since your going to TD's anyway. Like stated, save to money to put towards the rear end if your going to race it at all.

Im not really familiar with that x3 cam so I dont know what kinda power it will put down, might wanna check out youtube or google it and see if some posts from the vette forums pops up, those guys seem to like those cams.

Only thing I didnt see on your list that needs to be added is a clutch and flywheel.

Welcome to the site

EDIT:

It seems that cam is good for about 415RWHP in a vette so I think your going to need a better head like an AFR 205 or even a 215 to get the 470HP number your looking for. Talking to one of the sponsers like TSP would also help point you in the right direction.

Last edited by TooLateVTEC; 06-06-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

470 really is pushing it. Go for something more modest.
430-450 dyno before you get the rear in the car too that will help.

Your mods are fine PRC and the cam, the headers and LS6 will leave some left in the set up.

Dont forget about suspension, clutch and rear. Whats the point in the power if you just spin. My old car when it was mid 300's for power would kill a SC head and cam LT1. I would chirp squat and go. He would just sit and spin.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Well first of all, welcome to the world of TORQUE !

Sounds like youve got a nice want list there. I agree on passing on the cutouts since your going to TD's anyway. Like stated, save to money to put towards the rear end if your going to race it at all.

Im not really familiar with that x3 cam so I dont know what kinda power it will put down, might wanna check out youtube or google it and see if some posts from the vette forums pops up, those guys seem to like those cams.

Only thing I didnt see on your list that needs to be added is a clutch and flywheel.

Welcome to the site

EDIT:

It seems that cam is good for about 415RWHP in a vette so I think your going to need a better head like an AFR 205 or even a 215 to get the 470HP number your looking for. Talking to one of the sponsers like TSP would also help point you in the right direction.
How about the trickflow cast 220's? would a ported 215 do me better than the cast 220's?

Clutch will be adressed right after i get her assembled and tuned. As i dont want to have to break in the clutch untuned before the dyno. Just havent decided on changing out the flywheel or not, seemed about 50/50 on the threads i've read.

Will running the TD's out the back AND having highflo cats hinder me enough to warrant cutouts?

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
470 really is pushing it. Go for something more modest.
430-450 dyno before you get the rear in the car too that will help.

Your mods are fine PRC and the cam, the headers and LS6 will leave some left in the set up.

Dont forget about suspension, clutch and rear. Whats the point in the power if you just spin. My old car when it was mid 300's for power would kill a SC head and cam LT1. I would chirp squat and go. He would just sit and spin.
Yea im not REALLY planning on racing it, just mainly going to be a street car.
Are you saying those numbers are pushing it for my the parts i have picked out of on a stock bottom end 346 all together?

I am going to be doing SFC, Strut tower bars also.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would still consider a 12 bolt. When I was cam only a nice hard 3-4 shift broke my posi I went all away across the road when it broke. Scared the **** out of me, going right around 100mph.

Could skip some suspension get some good rear tires, Nitto, BFG's or mickey's.

450 HP is just a lot easier to obtain. You seem to have some what of a budget in mind.
Kooks or ARH would have been a lot better choice than your pascetters. Fast intake setup. Its not a lot but could be another 25 HP your missing right there. Even the heads TEA or the AFR might get you a little be more.
Jay
Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
I would still consider a 12 bolt. When I was cam only a nice hard 3-4 shift broke my posi I went all away across the road when it broke. Scared the **** out of me, going right around 100mph.

Could skip some suspension get some good rear tires, Nitto, BFG's or mickey's.

450 HP is just a lot easier to obtain. You seem to have some what of a budget in mind.
Kooks or ARH would have been a lot better choice than your pascetters. Fast intake setup. Its not a lot but could be another 25 HP your missing right there. Even the heads TEA or the AFR might get you a little be more.
Jay
Oh im deffinately still replacing the stock one, i just was saying im not going to racing it really.

Would the Tick Trick/Polluter package get me to the 450's?

I said 470 but what i really meant was as close to 500 as i can get
Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
Try in hear.

To do it you really need
Max head cam pack
Fast 90/90
Kooks/ARH dump the pascetters
True duals or exhaust with no cats that flows
Under drive pully
Lid
Stock 10 bolt
Bigger injectors
One hell of a tuner
Lots of luck
Maybe electric water pump and short belt(PS bypass)

Another option is TB port/lid/exhaust and 150 shot. Or forced induction will do it.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Based on the feed back i was getting i called TSP this morning and caught them before they shipped my order and had them swap the pacesetters for a set of thier 1 7/8 headers and got in on the group buy. I dont know if they are on the same level as the Kooks or American but should be an improvment over my Pacesetters.

And as from what im reading im going to ditch the professional products NW TB and begin saving for a fast 102 and 102 TB

Go big or go home i guess
Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
NOW YOUR TALKIN !
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

you've got the right idea. my buddies car made 445/390 with a fast 92/92, kooks, 3" duals, ud, and an MS3. stock heads. pulls like a ************.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, check out the edelbrock headers. they're alot cheaper than kooks, and have a great design.

get the ones with the slip fit collector, you'll be happy.

Last edited by kmracer; 06-07-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

And as from what im reading im going to ditch the professional products NW TB and begin saving for a fast 102 and 102 TB

talk to ron at vengeance about the TB size before you pull the trigger. a larger TB is goin to affect tuning and drivability from what i'be been told
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea and since then i've been reading about Mamo ported 90's does anyone know what the labor is for one of his port jobs?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned Scammer

car souns like it going to be fun to drive good build
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any fuel issues need to be addressed with a build like this? injectors? pump?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any fuel issues need to be addressed with a build like this? injectors? pump?
Oh most definitely. You'll need some new injectors and a new fuel pump for sure to handle that kind of power. The general guideline is to not exceed 80% duty cycle on the injectors. You'll have to do some searching to see what size you need to go with though. The fuel pump could be taken care of by a DIY twin pump setup or something by racetronix. Nasty Fuel systems are probably the best though.

Last edited by KurtRardin; 06-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Search this Thread