Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LS3/TR6060 swap custom drive shaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS3/TR6060 swap custom drive shaft questions

I am starting a swap of a 2010 Camaro SS LS3 drop out into a Jaguar and need some help figuring out what approach to take regarding the drive shaft.

1. For now, The engine will have under 500hp.
2. The original drive shaft is a 2 piece metal unit, about 58 inches long, with one U-joint in front of a center bearing in the middle (at 29") followed by a short slip yoke after the bearing. Each end is fitted with a flex disc. (Flex coupler, donut, Roto-Flex...) The rear end is a Ford 8.0 IRS. The differential is rigidly mounted other than the rubber bushings.
3. The 2010 Camaro TR6060 transmission uses a flex coupler, and the same style drive shaft, so I suspect that flex couplers can handle a lot of torque.

Questions!

1. How much torque and HP can flex coupler's handle?
2. Should I try to keep the flex couplers or build a traditional drive shaft with U-joints and a slip yoke?
3. Would installing a 3'1/2" X .125t Aluminum drive shaft cause any issues?
4. Any recommendations on a cost effective, good quality shop to build me a drive shaft?

Thanks.

Joe
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody answered my question from months ago, so I will post an update of what I have done.

I eliminated the 3 hole flanges that mount to the torque couplers on both the TR6060 transmission and on the differential. I had custom flat plate Ford style flanges made. Between the flanges is the driveshaft with standard Ford 1350 series U-joints with stock 4-bold rectangular mating flanges, and a slip yoke built into the drive shaft.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the normal procedure, when you blow that trans up go for the one that uses the slip yoke and not that bolt on style end yoke..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4.8 and tr6060 that i am gonna be swapping into a 240sx and i was wondering what to do for the drive shaft. If you have pictures on the adapter or more guidance id greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: LS3/TR6060 swap custom drive shaft questions