LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Volt Gauge Problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volt Gauge Problem Please Help

I tried posting this in the Electronics Section but can't seem to get any replies, so I wanted to try it here.

I have a 95 Trans Am. Ever since I bought the car 4 years ago the volt gauge on the dash has always been steady when I first start the car. Then once I am driving it for a little while and come to a stop or red light, the needle starts to "tick"

The gauge will stay steady around 14v or so until I stop then it will "tick" between 13 and 14 with just the radio on. The ticking is basicially a constant 14 to 13, 14 to 13, and it doesnt stop until I start driving again. The longer I sit there at idle, the more it starts doing it until I step on the gas and start going, then it is back to a steady 14v. The headlights don't dim, and the car idles at around 550 which is normal, but every time it "ticks" I feel the whole car kind of like feel like its losing power and starts running rough until I start going again, but the RPM's dont budge at all, just a steady 550.

I have replaced the battery with a Optima Redtop, Iraggi 240Amp Alternator, New Plugs, New wires, New EGR Valve, BIG 3 upgrade with 0 guage wire, and just replaced my belt tensioner pulley and it is still doing the same thing. Also checked the battery and alt with a volt meter and the readings were dead on normal when the car is off and when the car is turned on. But I cant check it when I am driving it obviously. I am just stumped here. Does anyone have any ideas at all to what could be causing this?

Once the motor begins to heat up after driving around for a bit and the car is in gear and then comes to a stop just idling is when it happens all the time. The needle on the gauge never moves when my car is actually moving. But I seriously have replaced everything I could think of and it still happens. Please help me I can't take it anymore.... LOL
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does the same thing. I verified the voltage with Datamaster and it was holding steady, the gauges just crap out.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
Mine does the same thing. I verified the voltage with Datamaster and it was holding steady, the gauges just crap out.
When your needle moves though do you actually feel it in your car like every time it moves? Just curious because every time my needle moves from 13/14 down to 12 or so when the car is at a stop I can feel the car hesitate and it keeps doing it until I start driving again. Almost feels like it wants to stall or something but it doesnt drop lower then 11/12, and once I start driving again its steady at 13/14
Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^^ my car does the same thing, it will sit there and the gauge will tick and jump and the car will shake.

Anyone figure out what will cause this? i just did spark plugs, its still doing it at stop lights.

And yes this post was from along time ago, this is what you guys get for saying "do a search"
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. But my issue came from a bad ignition wire. Once I replaced it the gauge stopped its shaking.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

ignition wire?

Spark plug wire?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine ended up being the battery cables.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Anyone got anything else on this? I've been having this problem for quite awhile now and can't seem to figure it out.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

New battery cables solved my issues.

Quick Reply: Volt Gauge Problem Please Help