General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ZO6 06 overheating !!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 06 overheating !!

Hi
I got ZO6 06 with only 9k miles.I imported from US. I'm from Middle East, Saudi Arabia.(where the temperature varies from 25C to 35C in night and 40C to 50C in the day)
I noticed that when I drive my car (in even a temperature of 23C) for 45 min to an hour I feel hot inside the car and when I follow that source of heat I found it starts before the H-pipe and reaches to the end of the exhaust. I remove the pollution part that is located just after the headers and I didn't notice any difference. Then, I put an insulation on the pipes between the headers and the H-pipe.. again no differences. So, anybody can help me in this overheating issues

Note: the car doesn't indicate any warning for overheating of the exhaust and temp. gage is varying from 160 to the middle.

Thankx
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

so its exhaust related and not motor?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I hope it's exhaust problem
actually, I think that one of the exhaust is blocked, but it's only 9000 mile !!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Well technically it is not overheating. But have you taken the exhaust off and checked for leaks. Also if your car has headers what kind are they are they steel because they tend to get hotter and put off more heat. If you dont find any leaks in the exhaust you can just wrap it with header wrap to cut down on the heat. Where exactly is the heat coming from? Is it from the engine bay or under the car?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I didn't change the headers ... it's stock
the heat is coming from under the car

I wraped the part between the headers and H-pipe and I found no difference..and I'm worried coz I don't know is the insulation will cut down on the heat is coming inside the car or tend to increase the heat on the engine ?!

do u think that the material of the headers and the exhaust pips is made of different materials than we have in Middle East? coz one of my friend says that he has the same problem with his ZO6 08 that he has just imported from the US?

or the overheating of the engine coz the pips to be hot? I mean the heat comes from the engine bay.

Last edited by thespark24; 06-08-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

You do know that the engine produces heat right. Everything that your explaining is normal. If the car is running the exhaust is going to get hot and same with the engine bay. If the car is not over heating dont worry about it.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Teching In

But what about the heat that is entering inside the car which makes me exhausted !!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thespark24
Hi
I got ZO6 06 with only 9k miles.I imported from US. I'm from Middle East, Saudi Arabia.(where the temperature varies from 25C to 35C in night and 40C to 50C in the day)
I noticed that when I drive my car (in even a temperature of 23C) for 45 min to an hour I feel hot inside the car and when I follow that source of heat I found it starts before the H-pipe and reaches to the end of the exhaust. I remove the pollution part that is located just after the headers and I didn't notice any difference. Then, I put an insulation on the pipes between the headers and the H-pipe.. again no differences. So, anybody can help me in this overheating issues

Note: the car doesn't indicate any warning for overheating of the exhaust and temp. gage is varying from 160 to the middle.

Thankx
Bro, I used to spend alot of time in Dubai, Kuwait, Saudi and Abu Dhabi.

I know exactly what you're talking about. On hot *** days I would feel the heat you're talking about on totally stock, normal cars that we have here in the states. BUT....you never feel that heat from those same cars in the states.

I came to the conclusion that our cars were simply not meant to drive around in 115*F heat. They get hot enough as is. Your pavement over there probably gets to 150*F by itself. Thats 150*F air getting blasted through your condensor/radiator. That hot air also passes through the engine bay and over the exhaust......it doesn't help with heat.

Heat rises....and you are sitting on top of all that heat. Its bound to radiate into the cars floorboards.

Hell, even the taxi cabs over there in the summer are hot inside.

You will make it worse by insulating it. You need as much air, even though its hot, passing throu8gh the engine bay and all around the exhaust pipes while you are moving. You are just going to decrease that air flow by putting insulation in there.
UNLESS....you want to spend the money to put thin sheet metal under the entire floorboard area inbetween the exhaust and the bottom of the floorboards. But there needs to be a space betweeen the sheet metal and top of the exhaust pipes so air can still flow through and around the exhaust piping.

Try starting a 747 turbine engine over there in the heat of the summer....it took us 5 full minutes to get one engine spooled up enough to where it would finally light off and reach idle. 20 friggin minutes to get all 4 engines started. Crazy *** heat over there man. I was in Vegas 2 days ago, it was 108*F on the pool deck........the Middle East in the summer makes that feel like a refridgerator.......

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Bro, I used to spend alot of time in Dubai, Kuwait, Saudi and Abu Dhabi.

I know exactly what you're talking about. On hot *** days I would feel the heat you're talking about on totally stock, normal cars that we have here in the states. BUT....you never feel that heat from those same cars in the states.

I came to the conclusion that our cars were simply not meant to drive around in 115*F heat. They get hot enough as is. Your pavement over there probably gets to 150*F by itself. Thats 150*F air getting blasted through your condensor/radiator. That hot air also passes through the engine bay and over the exhaust......it doesn't help with heat.

Heat rises....and you are sitting on top of all that heat. Its bound to radiate into the cars floorboards.

Hell, even the taxi cabs over there in the summer are hot inside.

You will make it worse by insulating it. You need as much air, even though its hot, passing throu8gh the engine bay and all around the exhaust pipes while you are moving. You are just going to decrease that air flow by putting insulation in there.
UNLESS....you want to spend the money to put thin sheet metal under the entire floorboard area inbetween the exhaust and the bottom of the floorboards. But there needs to be a space betweeen the sheet metal and top of the exhaust pipes so air can still flow through and around the exhaust piping.

Try starting a 747 turbine engine over there in the heat of the summer....it took us 5 full minutes to get one engine spooled up enough to where it would finally light off and reach idle. 20 friggin minutes to get all 4 engines started. Crazy *** heat over there man. I was in Vegas 2 days ago, it was 108*F on the pool deck........the Middle East in the summer makes that feel like a refridgerator.......

Thanx man !!
that's what I exactly reached to..and u have supported my thoughts by your experience since u have visited my region and had an idea of the hot *** weather here looool...

So now I'll try to find an appropriate thickness of the insulating metal

I really really appreciate your valuable comment which shows how helpful and kind u r....thankx again..^_^
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thespark24
Thanx man !!
that's what I exactly reached to..and u have supported my thoughts by your experience since u have visited my region and had an idea of the hot *** weather here looool...

So now I'll try to find an appropriate thickness of the insulating metal

I really really appreciate your valuable comment which shows how helpful and kind u r....thankx again..^_^
No problem, hope you get it worked out. Thin sheet metal, with a little space between the sheet metal and floor board, and don't let them touch the tops of the exhaust pipes. Air must flow through both sandwiches of sheet metal and the spots they are mounted to...this way the heat can't radiate right into the floorboard, it will first mix with the air blowing through it.

Maybe spot weld the sheet metal to the tops of the exhaust pipes. 6 inches wide lengths of sheet metal with the side edges turned downward at 30 degrees like wings all along each side. The spot welds along the top center of the pipes will act as a spacer to keep the sheet metal off the top of the pipe about 1/4 inch.

I might be moving to Jeddah soon, for a 3 year contract. Flying for the Royal Family... Not looking forward to the summer heat. But the money is going to be SICK!!!!!! My F-Body is definitely coming with me. Gotta be different.

Search this Thread