Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help from those who have built an 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help from those who have built an 8.8

I'm using fbody tubes and have new custom axles. 8.8 is out of an 89 Grand Marquis.

I have about 4" left on each side of the 8.8 - the fbody tubes are full length cut at the housing. How tight were the tubes when you built yours? Mine are very tight. I'm actually having trouble getting them in the last inch I need on each side. 10 bolt tubes are polished to damn near a mirror and so is the inside of the 8.8 tubes. The seam has been removed.

Heat and cold? Any suggestions? I hate to just keep sanding / removing material from the tubes because I fear they will be uneven. If I had 65" tall hydraulic press I think they would go. But a rubber mallet isn't cutting it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got them in today and at measurements I can live with.

I'm sure every casting is a tiny bit different. My 8.8 necks down to @ 2.9" where the tubes go into the housing. Subtract the thickness and it left me right around 2.60ish. Measurements on my 10 bolt tubes even when shiny where 2.595-2.61x ish. So I spent some more time with a flapper wheel.

I installed the diff and my axles before welding. C lips fall into place properly - rotor hat to axle flange is within a few thousands on either end. Tubes seemed straight within what my eye can detect using a magnetic angle finder on the 8.8 tubes and 10 bolt tubes.

Tubes are welded up now. Need to get an install kit - setup gears - build brackets for my mini ladder setup. Might change my axle seals while I'm at it.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have it all mapped out,Mine is almost ready to install...I used an Explorer rear and that required different length axles etc. I was impatient so i installed the mini ladder bar set up on the stock rear for the time being......