LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil inside the intake manifold issue...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil inside the intake manifold issue...

Recently I noticed the entire inside of the intake manifold was drenched in oil. I removed the intake, cleaned it , reinstalled it and saw the problem return rather quickly.

Not a blowby issue. Cylinders were 5-5-5-5-4-5-6-5 percentages in loss on the leak down test.

Not coming through the fresh air line from the right side valve cover. I have a filter on it at the valve cover and the hose and the top of the intake is clean.

Not a leaking intake gasket.

This only leaves the PCV valve and the metal line leading to the front of the intake. Upon inspection, I saw oil in this line. Smoking gun found.

I bought this Aluminum oil catch can:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...0a77b693dfc3dc

This is now installed on the front of the left side head and it is working as intended. It catches small amounts of oil that would normally go down the motors pie hole. I speculate the can might fill up every two oil changes. Also the intake is obviously much much cleaner.

So back to the problem. How does oil get into the PCV valve? I have the shield installed on the bottom of the intake which is supposed to prevent oil from getting it the valve. Is this problem simply normal for the PCV?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCV systems just seem to do this when you start turning some RPM. I went through it on my LT1 and put a catch can on it, ended up picking up a tenth or two at the track. I'm now going through the same thing with my LS2. Instead of putting a catch can on it I am going to ditch the PCV system all together and run valve cover breathers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil inside the intake manifold issue...