General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP, TRAC OFF, and BRAKE lights on, and running issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS INOP, TRAC OFF, and BRAKE lights on, and running issues

Well, the other day, my BRAKE, TRAC OFF, and ABS INOP lights came on out of nowhere, and aren't going away. I was hoping a scanner would tell me the issue, but no such luck. And it seemed like it was about a day later, my SES light turned itself off, even though it's been on since the motor swap (Frost forgot to delete the AIR pump code, no biggy) But, lately it had been throwing codes for low voltage on o2 sensors. Whenever the SES light is off, the car doesn't like the idle worth a crap and is real doggy, and if I don't give it gas at idle, it'll die sometimes. Sometimes the light comes back on and it'll run just fine, and pull strong. But, it never stays on long (It'll turn back off the next time I start it and run bad again). The other lights turn off sometimes, but usually come back the next time I drive it. Also, for some reason, when it's died on me a few times, it reset my tripometer. Nothing else, just the trip. Any ideas on these issues? I've got new o2's on the way, so I'm hoping it'll fix the idle and doggy situation. But unsure about the others.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a ground problem to me. My brake light and abs light and traction light did the same thing and i couldn't figure it out. I took it to a mechanic finally and it turned out that the ground was loose that was on the passenger side next to the shock tower if that is tighten then it is most likely the electronic brake module. Do the lights flash at all or are they constantly on? Also when you did the engine swap did you make sure that everything was grounded down?

Last edited by Drew24; 06-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the lights on the dash, sounds like the brake module is bad (eletronic component on the distribution block). I had the same thing happen last year. $55 used and I was back in business.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Drew24
Sounds like you have a ground problem to me. My brake light and abs light and traction light did the same thing and i couldn't figure it out. I took it to a mechanic finally and it turned out that the ground was loose that was on the passenger side next to the shock tower if that is tighten then it is most likely the electronic brake module. Do the lights flash at all or are they constantly on? Also when you did the engine swap did you make sure that everything was grounded down?
That's a possibility. Maybe I didn't get the ground tight enough. I had a hell of a time with ground issues when I first got the motor in (Somehow we overlooked all the grounds that go on the heads. lol), so I'll start searching for that tomorrow night. Because, sometimes everything works fine, then other times it doesn't. So, that may be the problem.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
as for the lights on the dash, sounds like the brake module is bad (eletronic component on the distribution block). I had the same thing happen last year. $55 used and I was back in business.
That's another thing I though of. I've seen a couple for sale on here, and will give it a shot, if it ends up not being a ground issue. But, I'll make sure to check all my grounds first, so I don't end up wasting money, if I don't need it. Thanks for the tips guys.