Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I hate hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate hydraulics

So im really not a fan of the hydraulics system and even less of a fan of the ls1 hydraulics.

The best option seems to be a tick and a new slave and all your problems are solved. But me, I really don't like the way the ls1 hydraulic system is setup. So my question is, would it be possible to put a lt1 type hydraulic setup on a ls1 car? They make alot more since to me and I hear few complaints about them.

I'd really like to ditch the system all together for a manual system, sure it makes a heavy clutch but i like that, hell id even take a cable system over hydraulics.

So anyhow, what are my options for losing the ls1 hydraulic system?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To run the L98 / LT1 / LT4 pull clutch, you could use the solid hub Vette disc and the pull style pp common to all of them, 89-97. You would not have the streetable nicety of the sprung hub (which is done by a heavy sprung hub flywheel on the Vette.)

If you had the LT1 input and front case adapter plate, it would bolt to the LS1 at the lower 4 bolt holes and the upper left. You'd probably want to TIG up high and drill the hole at 12:00.

Then you'd need an extended reach pilot bushing to reach from the .4" further forward face of the crankshaft to the LT1 input. Or a Viper input could be machined to work perfectly, since the spline O.D. is maintained back through the full length and the input could be cut and re-splined.

I like the idea of the pull clutch and I've seen a few that were beaten and kept on living with stock hydraulics.

However, you'd going to run into one last problem and that's the flywheel size. The LT1 bellhousing will not take a 168 tooth flywheel. Just a 153. I forget what scattershield LT1 options there are available, if any or if they accommodate a bigger than stock flywheel.

With custom work, the sprung hub disc could be used.

Quick Reply: I hate hydraulics