Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch... do I need new master/slave cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 clutch... do I need new master/slave cylinders?

I am getting ready to have an RPM Level IV transmission put in my car, which is currently VERY lightly modded (cutout, airlid, etc.). It's a 2000 Trans Am with 60k miles. My future plans include the typical bolt-ons... large cam, headers, etc. I'd like to get the car closer to 400HP down the road. The car is mostly a leisurely driver with the occasional track day/flogging.

At around 30k or 40k, I put in a Z06 clutch which had about 50k on it and had been raced on a bit (got it for very cheap and it's held up great). Now that I'm getting ready to put a new trans in, I figure it's obviously a good time to swap the clutch, so my plan is to go with a new LS7 clutch.

My questions:
  • What else do I need to get with the transmission kit? Do I need a master cylinder? Do I need a slave cylinder? (I have no indication that anything is wrong with them.)
  • Where is the best place to buy an LS7 clutch kit, currently? I know many of our sponsors sell them, but it's a bit intimidating to try to find where the deals are sometimes.
  • Lighter flywheel... is it really worth it?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

i heard lighterflywheel is not needed doesnt really do much of anything but save a few pounds off the whole car which would be like taking the spare tire out ont feel anything different and i would suggest doing the slave and master cylinder while everything is apart because my master went out at 67000 miles so get new in and you will be good to go for a long time
Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdmotox333
i heard lighterflywheel is not needed doesnt really do much of anything but save a few pounds off the whole car which would be like taking the spare tire out ont feel anything different...
uhhhh except it's rotating mass...so yes you would probably feel it

heavy drag launches: stick with the normal flywheel
road racing/autox: lightweight
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I'm essentially trying to minimize my amount of "well, I'm in here, may as well do THIS" purchases in order to stay within a reasonable budget.

But, I don't want to skip replacing master/slave cylinders or something and then realize that I needed upgraded ones and now there's a bunch of work to be done again.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

since your slave only has 60k on it u should be ok with a ls7 kit. but the stock master could probly be replaced. my stock one lasted 67k on a stock car.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say go with a new master/slave cylinder. they may not be bad, but it can be a pain in the *** to drop the trans just for those. Ive dropped quite a few T56s out of a couple different cars, so im good at it, but it can be a pain.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any time you have the tranny down, replace the slave, and throw out bearing (which should come with the clutch kit). Might be wise to do a Tick master as well now that you're doing all that. Currently I think ws6store has the cheapest ls7 clutch kit. Flywheel weight all depends on what you want to do? Is it your daily driver, or is it just your track car? Essentially, lighter for street cars, heavier for track cars.

Make sure to bleed right, or you'll be replacing more parts.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch... do I need new master/slave cylinders?