General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

anyone else drill holes in there tailight covers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default anyone else drill holes in there tailight covers?

Noticed a a bulb was out so I took off the tailight cover and saw ALOT of water in the cover. It was touching the bulb so the bulb poped. I decided I dont want it happening again so I drilled holes in the bottom of both tailight covers. Anyone else ever have to do this?

Last edited by senicalj4579; 06-08-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of people doing it to the front turn signals because of the same issue with moisture getting in and damaging the sockets.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

I actualy changed the front pass side one out yesterday. There was no water but who knows if it will ever get in there. It was only my pass side tailight cover that had water. The other side was bone dry. I still drilled holes on both sides though.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to tell you guys this but if you are getting water in the housing are cracked someplace, they should be dry. I had one of my frt lenses wet all the time and found a tiny crack on the face from a stone. Hard to believe but the water will force itself through any little crack. Drilling holes will just let moisture in all the time.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

I dont care what anyone says. lol holes at the bottom of the covers with a little moisture is better than covers filled halfway with water. Im gonna keep an eye on it.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM

I have heard of this too. I have never done it myself, but it seems like you are on the right path. Keep monitoring it. You wouldn't want one of your self made holes to ruin your car. I have always used a tailgate cap so I hope it works out for you.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasserton
I have heard of this too. I have never done it myself, but it seems like you are on the right path. Keep monitoring it. You wouldn't want one of your self made holes to ruin your car. I have always used a tailgate cap so I hope it works out for you.
ruin your car? highly unlikely. It's unlikely it will even ruin your ~$100 light.

You might get a little condensation of really humid days, but it's better than a light halfway filled with water, especially when f-bodies are known for filling light bulbs among other things.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by justin455
ruin your car? highly unlikely. It's unlikely it will even ruin your ~$100 light.

You might get a little condensation of really humid days, but it's better than a light halfway filled with water, especially when f-bodies are known for filling light bulbs among other things.

Thanks,I was gonna say that but I didnt want it turning into a shhhhh debate

My driver side was halfway filled with water and it touched the bulb causeing it to pop. I figure the holes are better than water filled half way! lol
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Thanks,I was gonna say that but I didnt want it turning into a shhhhh debate

My driver side was halfway filled with water and it touched the bulb causeing it to pop. I figure the holes are better than water filled half way! lol
It's not a permanent fix, but a lot better than it was and for free at that. If you really wanted a cheap fix I would take out the lights and throw a couple coats of clear all over the outside. That should at least seal up any small cracks for quite a while.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

I did the drill mod in my tail lights and front DRL years ago and never had problems since, never have condensation build up on the lens. Also other car companies have holes already drilled in the housings, I assume to take care of this problem...not sure why else there would be a hole.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Another tip if you don't want to drill your lights: you can put a bead of clear RTV sealant around the edges of where the plastic meets. This works well for the corner lights and headlights. I would highly recommend doing this before installing any aftermarket lights too.