LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Setting the TPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Setting the TPS

Hello all I have a some things I need to button up on my 97 383. The engine is miss firing and I need to track it down. I am pulling the plugs and checking the wires tomorrow but I am also going to clean the MAF sensor and I need to check the TPS voltage. I did not have a chance to do this since finishing installing the engine. I am finally moved into the new house and I need to check it and set it up. Is there a tech article on how to do this? If any of you have a write up or know of one, can you post it up for me?

As for the misfire problem I have I am still running on the 100k mile stock ignition modual and coil. The opti is a summit racing opti so I hope thats not it but it is just a random miss at idle that will go away untill about 3k rpms then comes and goes up to the red line. Alot like a bad plug wire or ignition modual on its way out. Is there anyway to test the ignition modual?
thanks for any help
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the opti,check all plug wires and firing order, buy a haynes manual at autozone for 15bucks and it will show you how to check all ign comp's. did you install summit opti?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is the gist of checking the TPS with a meter. Even easier with a scanner (you can just read the voltage).
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I did this last week, but left out slotting the holes. I couldn't find an answer to part of the question, which is: If there is rotary tension on the pass. side TB shaft with the TPS in place, is it a problem? Tension was there before I started the adjustment and after, and I have had no idle issues. I tweaked the position slightly (small TPIS TB screws give a bit of wiggle both ways) to get a perfect .67V at closed throttle and 4.77V wide open. Should it be slotted until there is zero rotary tension on the TPS? Looks like doing so would require positioning the throttle blades too far open to be good for idle... sorry to jack the thread.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Slotting is only necessary to get the closed throttle reading in range. Mostly only needed on aftermarket TBs like the Golen page indicates.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
sounds like the opti,check all plug wires and firing order, buy a haynes manual at autozone for 15bucks and it will show you how to check all ign comp's. did you install summit opti?
I installed the summit opti when I built the engine. I hope to have time to pull the plugs in the morning and see what I have got. I pulled #7 and #4 as a spot check and #7 was dirty but not compleatly fouled and #4 was very clean like new but it had carbon on it as if it had been working fine. I will know more once I get them all out. I hope it's not the opti. I will be removing it if it is. Now I have to go unpack my manuals
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shbox
Here is the gist of checking the TPS with a meter. Even easier with a scanner (you can just read the voltage).
Thanks Shbox. That is exactly what I needed. I don't have a scanner. I knew I should have bought one.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shbox
Slotting is only necessary to get the closed throttle reading in range. Mostly only needed on aftermarket TBs like the Golen page indicates.
Yea I have a BBK on it so we shall see
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 AM
TECH Veteran

do you have any codes?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

i just started having the same problem when i started me engine yeasterday my iac is at 160 and im having idle problems with the bbk 52mm so i'm going to try this today
Old 06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
do you have any codes?
I have no CEL but not sure if there are any codes or not as I don't have a scanner. I need to pony up and get one.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

OK so I got my TPS set up and I am at .68 to.70 at idle and I was at .998. I can only seem to get 4.40 at WOT Is that ok? What will High TPS voltage do at idle? Richer fule mix? What will it do

Quick Reply: Setting the TPS