LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant cross over

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant cross over

At the rear of the LT1 is a coolant crossover. Can I run that just from cylinder head to cylinder head? I wanted to use An fittings, I know it runs up to the throttle body but most guys are bypassing the throttle body. Didn't know if it needed to be vented to the cooling system elsewhere. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a pretty good question. I don't know the answer, but I have plumbed mine directly to the radiator and bypassed the throttle body. I think running a "T" to the radiator is safer because it ensures that coolant is flowing between the heads, otherwise you might get a balance there and the coolant may not flow at all between the heads resulting in overheating. I'm not sure but probably wouldn't chance it considering the possible damage that can occur due to air pockets and localized overheating.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

due to the reverse flow cooling system in the LT1, pockets of steam can be easily generated in the heads. The crossover vents tube directs the steam buildup to the front ends of the cooling system where it can be manually bled out of the system through the heater outlet on the water pump.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

im glad this came up because i am putting my motor back together and my friend threw out my crossover pipe i think. is it easy to make one? the ones on ebay i have seen done look like mine did they have a extra pipe coming off i guess thats what u guys are saying going to the TB. my car already has the TB coolant bypass so idk how they did it. how did u guys block off the part going to the TB? i might jut order a new one
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

You don't "block it" from the throttle body. It's just rerouted straight to the radiator instead of going through the throttle body first.

Quick Reply: Coolant cross over