Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Obx cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obx cat back exhaust

Has any one installed the obx cat back exhaust yet? I've seen it on ebay for $349. Plus shiping. I couldn't find a gto on youtube with it installed. I did find two corvettes with it installed. It sounded pretty good, not tin cany. It had a good low base sound to it. If any has a video clip it would be great, if not do you like it?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

the price alone justifies the purchase.
some of the other cat-backs are over double that price.
If need-be you could always swap mufflers later on, but the non GTO OBX systems I have heard I thought sounded fine(catted, though, fyi)
--Glenn
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy has the obx shorty headers and seem to be quality construction. Sound good too. I might go with their long tubes also, with mid pipe (uncatted).
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Teching In

you get what you pay for

marylandspeed has bassani cat backs for $665 shipped right now, i just picked one up
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

obs is ricer equipment based , and the majority of what they sell is R&D(ripped of and not designed)

also they use low grade and thin wall materials

there used to be a day when they made good stuff , and didnt rip off other companied products , but now they are crap
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I have no personal experience w/ any Obx v8 products so I can not comment on that side of their products. I however have had to install countless obx headers/downpipes/exhausts on many of my customers tuner cars and they all seem to love the products. . . . Lower standards from that crowd, but still, I havent had one come back w/ a construction failure in the 7 years i've been putting them on.

Eh, It's your car, try it out and let us know.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its crap ****... They have monster fitment issues and the quality is ****... Thats why its sold on ebay... Its like buying a ebay turbo kit and buy a sts kit, No where near the same quality...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Do they have fitment issues? yea they have fitment issues. a friend of mine bought a set of OBX headers for his CTS-V. one of the primaries was rubbing against the steering shaft.

Is it thin? yea its thin. a friend of mine bought a set of headers for his CTS-V they rubbed aganst the steering shaft, used a small screwdriver to dent the primary so it wouldnt rub anymore.

Has he burnt a hole in it yet? No

Does he like them? Yea

will they rust like PS? No

from what I understand they copy kooks headers and corsa catbacks. I might be wrong. there are two sound clips of OBXr soundclips on youtube. they sound good.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude can afford a CTS-V but then puts OBX on it? wtf brah, but it's money and car.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Don't do it! Stock exhaust is better than anything OBX.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04GTOgtgo
Don't do it! Stock exhaust is better than anything OBX.
Hate to say it but you are wrong, unless you have a preference for the crappy stock exhaust. Now I will say that the OBX is not the best, they are a coppied design, and are thin. Unlike some people, I dont have the whole "It has to be made in the usa or its total crap attitude".

I think the only competitor to OBX as far as price is Pacesetter. They are total crap unless you coat them yourself or have them coated, and for what it cost to have them coated you should have bought the better exhaust. The only reason that I have PS headders is that they were free, and I coated them myself inside and out for free at work.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Dude can afford a CTS-V but then puts OBX on it? wtf brah, but it's money and car.
How much money do you have to have to get a V? He only paid 18k for it. And it is an 06 with an ls2. The 09 LSA V's can be bought at auction for 38 -39 grand. Used cars are cheap.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Its so funny cause I saw that same system on ebay. They offer one for the 04 gto which looks like a better version of the stock one, or the one for the 05-06 which is a complete knock off of the corsa. Here's the thing man, OBX is all chinese imported stuff. You can tell just by the polished thin wall stainless steel quality. However for $350.00, it is not a bad system at all. The welds are clean, the bends are smooth. Your car will see the added gains just as if you were to go with magnaflow or corsa or slp etc. They actually have a link on youtube where you can hear it on an 05-06 GTO. It sounds similar to a Borla. It really comes down on how much you want to spend, and unfortunately these days it comes down to the price tag to reflect the quality. I personally run the ridiculously overpriced Corsa system on my ride, however the quality is good, sound is great, and poppiness that it makes with my cam setup is addicting
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

corsa @ $1121.21

OBX @ 349.00

I'll be real honest here. I cant see the 772.21 difference, also $1121.21 is the sale price. The corsa is actualy 1300 and change. The real difference is the fact that corsa pays their welder xx dollars per hour to weld. And China.....

Lets just say this guy gets to eat tonight if he makes his quota.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and corsa spends hundreds of hours on their muffler design , and obx doesnt spend any
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
and corsa spends hundreds of hours on their muffler design , and obx doesnt spend any
OBX doesn't have to spend any, they let Corsa do it for them, lol. Everyone is going to buy whatever they want, but I'm going to throw my $.02 in there. The American companies that do all the R&D and sell there parts for 3 times as much as the OBX need to notice they are loosing business to them BECAUSE of the cost of R&D. The claim that the anti-OBX crowd makes is "OBX are cheap and they sell cheap because they didn't spend the hours to do the research." How long can the American company say that they did the research, so they should charge 3 times as much? Those man hours would've been paid off quicker if they sold the product for a cheaper price and same quality. Eliminate OBX as a competitor by lowering the price which would, not only get the American company more business, BUT it would cause the OTHER American companies to lower their prices to keep making money. Capitalism can work for everyone here, not just the Chinese.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Here's a sound clip link for the OBX exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20ps...eature=related

Even though it looks similar to the Corsa, it sounds nothing like it, however sounds more like a Borla tone. Still a nice tone, not just that Corsa sound that everyone craves. One of my favorite things about the Corsa, even the Sport exhaust is that there is absolutely NO drone and all the rumble and tone is kept outside. Not to mention the poppiness you get from that exhaust when you throw a cam in the mix sounds absolutely SICK!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Give the ls2 the credit for sounding good lol, it would probably sound cool if i spot welded a bunch of beer cans together and strapped that to it.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

I was planning on running my stock exhaust with headers but i saw this on ebay and it looked pretty good for the price. I would love another corsa (i had one on my silverado) but i dont see myself paying the high price again anytime soon.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

look around for a corsa...I found a corsa for my 04 for 500 shipped

Quick Reply: Obx cat back exhaust