Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel problem??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem??

its a 98 camaro ls1, my problem is whenever i start my car in the morning it runs great but after i shut the car off (doesnt matter how long, unless the car is sitting still for more than 4 hours i have this problem) when i try to start the car it doesnt start right away it just turns over, so ill shut it off then try again and it runs fine until i start driving. when i give it gas it starts stumbling like its missing so ill put it in neutral and rev it at a constant rpm after about 10 seconds it starts running fine and quits stumbling. im at a loss here, I thought the evap. canister was sucking fuel (one of the lines the purge or air line smells like gas) so i took it out, problem is still there, the car had nitrous on it so i took the FPSS off and there wasnt a shrader valve in there so i put one in still having the problem i dont know where to go now with the problem. anything helps!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar problems and found out my pump was bad!! it had only 35-45 psi install a pressure gauge and see if the pump is giving you problems!!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

im going to hook it up to my snap on scanner tomorrow and see while its running! the next step will be the pump i dont know how long the stock pumps last for but 132xxx it might be time ya know!! thanks again ill let you know the outcome!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

so i hooked it up today and we ran a live diag. on it, whenever the stumbling/misfire occured only cylinders 1,3,and 5 were affected. and it wasnt consistant it was those three but never in any kind of order or anything, so im going to check the fuel pressure regulator, which if im looking at it right you have to replace the whole fuel rail? the car also threw a code for my 02 sensor on the same side is bad now. i just replaced it 3 months ago. does anyone else have any ideas???
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you put a pressure gauge on it...?

The regulator is in the tank.

If it was the fuel pump and/or regulator, why would it affect only 1,3,5...?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

That's a good question, but then again why is it only affecting one side of the motor??? Come on people I need some help!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Might have to try some things:
- check for spark at each spark plug, use a spark tester like KD-2756.
- swap injectors across banks, see if the problem follows the injectors,
- swap O2 sensors,
- remove/inspect O2 sensors,
- remove/inspect spark plugs.

If the plugs and O2 sensor on one side are fouled then either injectors are leaking or O2 is bad.