Camaro wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Camaro wont start

I tried to start my Camaro today and it wouldn't start. The security light in the dash flickered on and off. I had this problem before in my old camaro but after a couple minutes it started. How do I fix this? Luckily it was at work so I just pushed it to the back of the parking lot and drove the Chevelle home.

I tried the spare set of keys also..
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a new key or bypass the VATS

just hope the vats computer isn't fried and you won't have to get a new ignition if you bypass the vats

Last edited by UnknownWarrior; 06-09-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Ive had a bad starter twice and a bad battery show those same symptoms.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Make a resistor(s) that equals the same value. Crawl under the dash and look for 2 thin white wires. Follow them down to a connector. Unplug the connector and insert the resistor in the connector on the body side.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to the rear and unplug the module where the spare tire is at. Start it and plug back in I had that issue once or twice
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does radioshack have resistors and stuff? I got the bottom dash pulled off, just need the locate a resistor and measure the key.

I am sooooo glad I have more than one car. Also whats the thing in the spare tire area for?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Does radioshack have resistors and stuff? I got the bottom dash pulled off, just need the locate a resistor and measure the key.

I am sooooo glad I have more than one car. Also whats the thing in the spare tire area for?
theres actually 2 things in there. one is the amp and that small box is the alarm shock sensor/ sensitivity switch
Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I measured the key, does 9400 sound right? The Trans Am was 5200.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

yes the vats are are a given value from 1-15 with there resisatnce values respectively, yours appears like #14 and value is 9530 ohms, given the 3% +- applicable, i would go to the shack and buy a set of resitors i think they have 6k and 3ks hook them together and itll be close enough. or just hook 10 1k together
Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok cool, hopefully I can get it running tomorrow otherwise it's locked in the parking lot for the weekend.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok got it running, thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok got it running, thanks guys!
so you just need a new key?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

i had a friend with vats problems and i dearched for deleting vats here and they deleted the vats out of his pcm for i think like 80 bucks
Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevez2885
i had a friend with vats problems and i dearched for deleting vats here and they deleted the vats out of his pcm for i think like 80 bucks
You can delete the VATS in the PCM so the fuel will still enable, but to engage the starter, the BCM has to be fooled as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
You can delete the VATS in the PCM so the fuel will still enable, but to engage the starter, the BCM has to be fooled as well.
Yep, a guy that is interested in the car owns or works at a performance shop and he said they can just tune it out.

What I did was strip the wires and connected them to the chip in the spare key and started it. What's funny is that I don't need it to start the car anymore. Even with the connector disconnected it would still start.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, a guy that is interested in the car owns or works at a performance shop and he said they can just tune it out.

What I did was strip the wires and connected them to the chip in the spare key and started it. What's funny is that I don't need it to start the car anymore. Even with the connector disconnected it would still start.
What? Im a little drunk right now and dont understand what youre talking about. Pictures?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

you could alwas just get a new key and not hack up your **** lol. i got my vats tuned out
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
you could alwas just get a new key and not hack up your **** lol. i got my vats tuned out
My spare key is pretty much new and you don't really have to tear anything up.. I will post some pics later since I don't keep the car at my house.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Yep, I did this a while back on my old SS, and even made a post about it... The spare key is the perfect answer when you can't round up the correct value of resistors.

The way I did it was I took the small connector (under the dash) with the the two small wires from the ignition cylinder, clipped the wires as they come out of the steering column leaving a couple of inches of wire leading to the harness connector and then put the small wires with the connector on either side (one on each side) of the spare key pellet.

It recreates the same connection as if the key was being inserted into the ignition cylinder but,under the dash. That way bypassing the fault in the wiring that develops from years of turning your ignition cylinder to start your car.

I then just essentially plugged the spare key into the wiring harness and all was well.

Anyone that has seen the wiring used from the ig cylinder to the wiring harness under the dash will know what I'm talking about when I say it's only a matter of time before they wear down and cause a fault. Thats why some people report having this VATS problem occasionally then finally it won't start at all.

I had pics but can't find them now... sorry.

Here's that old link if anyone is interested... https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ot-rotate.html

Congrats on solving the problem retardedpenguin!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

This thread helped so much.

Quick Reply: Camaro wont start