LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who is running Dynaspark ? Opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who is running Dynaspark ? Opinions ?

Im not having any Opti problems but im considering switching
to the Dynaspark . Who is running or ran one of these before ?
What were the pros and cons in your opinion ? Thanks in advance !
Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was great until coolant got to it. Getting it redone and gonna try it again. I think it just needs a cap / rotor. Only lasted about 5,000 miles for me but cant really blame it for getting coolant in it.

One of my check valves was messed up from the factory though. Would not let any air flow in either direction. That's something to check on them if you get one.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got one after issues with an MSD unit. So far so good, looks to be a quality piece plus the rebuild cost if needed is less than MSD's. Not to mention the lifetime warranty!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dynaspark

The best opti out there in my opinion. Dont know how you got water in it since they are completely sealed but stuff happens, anyway I was always destroying the GM optis with my forced inducted LT because it spooled up so fast the rotor would literally be sticking out the side of the cap, got tired of changing optis and went with a Dynaspark, nevr had a problem, in fact I am rebuilding the engine going turbo and decided to send it back to fresh it up, They completely rebuilt it, new cap and rotor and new harness for $90.00

Pros: Very durable, sealed cap, billet housing,excellent rebuild price and quick
turn around.
Cons: none
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure either Moe. I had no real leaks, the only thing I did different the last time was put sealant on the WP bolts, which I had neglected to do when installing the dynaspark.

I have a GM opti now and it's been great for quite a while. The dynaspark is just sitting there. I'm gonna send it back in and have it freshened up for a spare. Or sell both of them and do the lsx pcm conversion soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one but don't have many miles on it or passes at the track. From what I can tell it looks like a very high quality part and a decided to purchase one based on a recommendation from Moe.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

I've had mine for a little over a year now with zero issues. I changed to it after my accel took a **** after one track pass. What a POS that was.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not trying to be an "azzhat", however I'll play devil's advocate....

I was in the market for a new opti last year, as my OE unit had the bushing go bad at 70,000 miles. This was allowing the rotor to "wobble" and touch the inside of the cap. I searched all the options, and settled for an AC Delco replacement, for a couple of reasons. First was lower cost, self explanatory. Also, I don't race the car.

I looked at the MSD unit, but the people here seem to have VERY mixed experiences with it, therefore it doesn't seem to be worth the extra money.

I seriously considered the Dynaspark, because it looks like a heavy-duty, well thought out piece. The real reason I didn't spring for it was I was concerned about future support of the product. I seem to recall that the original manufacturer had already been bought out by a new concern, and since it doesn't seem to share many components with the more common units, what do you do if you need repairs/rebuilds? Optisparks aren't exactly a commonly used automotive component. Yes, I understand that the current folks are saying that they will stand behind their unit, and so far, they seem to, but what about in another 2-3 years? Will they still be around?

Again, I'm not a jealous, "cheap-azz" type of guy, who'll criticize people who are willing to spend more $$ than me, far from it. I was just taking what I felt was a practical approach....
Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I seen on the dynaspark website that they are in Ft Wayne Indiana. And where they are at is within a half hour of me. Maybe ill just swing in while I'm up there this next week
Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one for >6 years.

At the time it was the only gen-I vented opti out there, so it was a no-brainer.

1-2 years later, the other aftermarket vented gen-I optis came out, and in that situation I would not pay the premium for the dynaspark.

Then when the product was sold off a few years ago the transition was handled badly and the customer service went to hell. People were regularly posting in forums "does dynaspark respond to emails?" "nobody answers the phone?" "are they out of business?"

That was a while ago, so maybe it's improved by now.

Has it changed hands a second time? The name listed on their current contact page is not either of the two guys who bought it a few years ago.

I sure wouldn't buy anything from the company (Dynotech) that originally invented the dynaspark - the owner of that company came on corvetteforum a couple of times and made a complete *** of himself, particularly regarding the sell-off.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sbs
......I sure wouldn't buy anything from the company (Dynotech) that originally invented the dynaspark - the owner of that company came on corvetteforum a couple of times and made a complete *** of himself, particularly regarding the sell-off.
WOW, I forgot all about that verbal fiasco on the Corvette Forum. Yes, it sure was a classic case of shoving you foot in your mouth!! At the time, I think there were people who actually wanted to do some physical harm to the guy!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Links to this thread? Please? I wanna read
Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Here you go....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...rk+distributor
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Looks to me like DTE was attacked for no reason. The man tried to do the right thing and post up about the selling transition and the warranties will still be covered. Then was bashed by a few.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Looks to me like DTE was attacked for no reason. The man tried to do the right thing and post up about the selling transition and the warranties will still be covered. Then was bashed by a few.
Quite possibly, Tony, but the link I posted was just one of several that I seem to recall. I did read some of them, and the "discussion" back and forth in a couple of the threads got quite heated, I seem to think, because people placed orders, sent deposits, and didn't get products....
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting thread there on the corvette forum...yes, he started the thread with great intentions for himself and the customers...that 2nd post was pretty much just unprofessional

reminds me of some of the Craz28 threads to be honest
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I run it with zero issues. I can pressure wash my engine with no hesitations. Its heavy duty also so it can take the revs. I had mine for four years now.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
The best opti out there in my opinion. Dont know how you got water in it since they are completely sealed but stuff happens, anyway I was always destroying the GM optis with my forced inducted LT because it spooled up so fast the rotor would literally be sticking out the side of the cap, got tired of changing optis and went with a Dynaspark, nevr had a problem, in fact I am rebuilding the engine going turbo and decided to send it back to fresh it up, They completely rebuilt it, new cap and rotor and new harness for $90.00

Pros: Very durable, sealed cap, billet housing,excellent rebuild price and quick
turn around.
Cons: none
We had the exact same problem on this Corvette. I had never seen or read of anyone else having this same problem until now!
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=73
We tried the MSD and it did the same thing. The Dynaspark took care of the problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Who is running Dynaspark ? Opinions ?