Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BIG trans problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG trans problem!

Ok guys, pretty sure the trans is toast, but thought I would confirm with you guys since I'm not to keen as far as transmissions go.

Problems first started couple months ago with my 99 Z28 would randomly started popping out of 1st gear, figured it was a bad synchro. Unfortunatly this car is my only means of transportation right now, so I had to continue to drive it until I got my track bike legal for the streets again. Soon after 1st started popping out, the gear was pretty much gone, meaning it would not stay in gear at all. After that, the same thing happened to 3rd gear, same way. Started by popping out, then lost it completely. Not to far behind, 5th started popping out as well. By the time I quit driving it, 5th was not completely gone like 1st and 3rd, but would pop out randomly. Also reverse is completely gone as well.

Im sure its the trans thats done, but it seems weird to me that all the TOP gears are toast (1st, 3rd, 5th, reverse) and the bottom gears are perfectly fine (2nd, 4th, 6th).

Anybody have any input??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have an aftermarket shifter, and if so, have you checked the adjustment of the shift stops?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do have a pro 5.0 shifter, but the stops have not been touched since I put it on. I did think of that possibility, but then I figured that all the gears would have screwed up at the same time, instead of in the 1st, 3rd, 5th order. And honestly it felt like it was going into gear completely, and just popping out.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

The fact that it's 1st, 3rd and 5th is why I said shift stop. You only have one stop on each side of the shifter, so the forward stop may be loose. If the stop comes loose, it can either prevent you from getting into gear, let it go in far enough to pop out, or let you go to deep.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I get what your saying, but don't u think if that was the case it would happen to all the top gears at the same time instead of sequentially? Its a good suggestion tho. Ill double check the stops on my shifter when I get home.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Think about your shifter position. If it was the rear stop, you'd have the same problem, only in 2nd, 4th and 6th.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I hear ya, ill compare the front one to the rear when I get home from work. Its just strange to me that it started giving me problems in order. 1st then 3rd then 5th and reverse. And not all at the same time

Quick Reply: BIG trans problem!