Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Stock LS1 Harmonic Balancer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Install Stock LS1 Harmonic Balancer Questions

I need to install the harmonic balancer on my 2001 LS1. I have a new bolt but have the following questions:

1) What needs to be done to install....heat it up (I noticed the rubber ring which would probably rule out heating it up) to expand or just slip on and start tightening bolt? I did try and start bolt but it was not catching any threads but just placing it on the end of the crank.

2) What are the torque specs and is there anything special about torquing the bolt?

3) The engine/4l60E is not installed in car....what do I do to some the engine from turning to torque the bolt?

Thanks in advance for your assistance on my questions!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Get threaded rod and a couple of nut and washers, do not use a bolt to pull it on.

You can heat it in the oven to like 200 dgrees - remeber the engine runs at abou that temperature so that much heat is fine and will expand it a bit to help sliding it on.

2. From Ls1 how to: "install a new bolt, tighten to 37ft/lbs, then turn an additional 140 degrees. Once again, I have yet to actually be able to turn it all 140 degrees..but 90-100 has seemed to work fine so far. You'll need a long section of pipe over a very strong wrench to be able to turn it all 140 degrees". You'll also need a couple of helpers to hold the engine if you're doing it out of the car.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=4

3. Use a tool or screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to hold it. (and your helpers)

Last edited by DaddySS; 06-10-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Install Stock LS1 Harmonic Balancer Questions