Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Body Twist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Body Twist?

I just noticed my car is higher on the drivers side than on the right!?! I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender over all the wheels. The drivers side front fender is 2/3" higher than the passenger side right front! The drivers side rear fender is 1/2" higher than the passenger side rear fender! I bought the car with 92,000 miles on it four months ago. I have added wheels and tires and a gear change! Is this normal body twist over a period of time!?! Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

The car has not been wrecked!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that that is normal or should be accepted. An easy thing to check would be the condition of your sway bars. If the previous owner did some off-roading (intentional or otherwise), it's possible that one or both of the bars are bent. That would cause the suspension to load unevenly which may result in the symptom you are describing.
BTW, I recall a post on this site where someone pulled off the stock sway bars to install aftermarkets on a used car. One of the stockers was bent... badly.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was to my understanding that all ls1's were a little lop sided. mine does the same thing but when you sit in it the gap closes up with the extra weight on the drivers side. i know that the pro kit has a spring for the passengerside to be a little stiffer to make the car sit more evenly. i think i read that somewhere. i might be wrong also. anyone else?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"i know that the pro kit has a spring for the passengerside to be a little stiffer to make the car sit more evenly."

I tend to doubt it; the springs are not marked for which side they go in, and I've had them in both ways, same results. I came to the conclusion it sits this way until you sit in the car, then it's even. GM tolerances I suppose.