General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ac problems help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac problems help!

I recently bought a new t/a. It had a locked up ac compressor, I bought a new one, filled with oil and installed and threw a belt on it. At first, the comp would not kick on at all when I brought it to a friends to charge it up. We ran a jumper to the comp straight to the battery. You can def hear the click when the clutch engages with the jumper. So we filled it with the jumper on, it took 2 cans of freon, pressure was a tad low but didnt even change the hot air blowing in the car. Next day I add another can of freon. Its still hot air and the comp will still not kick on unless I have the jumper hooked up. What do I need to do next? Buddy from work said the drier would need to be replaced anytime a comp is. HVAC isnt really my thing and I am kinda lost on this and dont want to take it to a shop
Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Your first mistake was not flushing the system before you put the new compressor on. All the trash from the failed compressor is out in the system, just waiting to eat that new compressor for lunch. Quit running the A/C AT ALL until you can get a flush done. At this point, you'll probably need to flush out the new compressor as well. You will need a new orifice tube, fresh oil and more refrigerant after the flush.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

i would recommend getting a new accumulator and orifice tube after compressor failure... then flush out the lines and condensor to get out any debris and old oil... drain the oil out of your compressor and refill it with new oil and add a few more ounces to the accumulator when you install it, you will need pag 150 high viscosity oil... then make sure to pull a good vacuum on the system before you recharge it... i left mine hooked up to my vacuum pump for about 3 hours just for peace of mind, there is no such thing as vacuuming for too long... then once you're done with that you can recharge it with 2 12oz cans of r134a (1.5lbs total)... you said you recharged it with 2 cans and then added another can the next day, that's just begging for a leak to pop up
Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
i would recommend getting a new accumulator and orifice tube after compressor failure...
Me and OP did this today and all is well, ice cold air
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, AC is not that tough to work on for the most part. Just get the components you need when you need them. Don't just skip random steps.