General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Started Misfiring Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Started Misfiring Today

Here's the story. Bought the car last year, never have had any engine problems with it, mostly all drivetrain (clutch, rear, tranny), car is cammed, full exhaust, and a lid. Today I get up to go wash my car, but before I get to the car wash I put gas since it was low. I paid, went to go pump gas, didn't work, called the lady and she came to press a button, and it worked. I was sure I pressed 93 octane... but don't know exactly what she pressed to make it work. The gas was coming out extremely slow when I was pumping.

Anyways, I get to the car wash (which is right next to the gas station), turn it off, wash the car, finish waxing the car, turn it on, reverse and notice that my car is significantly weaker and sounds way different. I get out while idling and notice that it's misfiring. Pop the hood, and hear a slight ticking noise coming from the driver side. While idling the service engine soon light is solid, while going down the road it flashes. The SES light has been on for quite some time now though (maybe 2 months)... I went to a vatozone that was close by to hook up that obd2 thing, and they couldn't get it to work. I left, and then realized a while back I had burned the fuse to the cig lighter while changing my shifter, so I figured that's why they couldn't get the diagnostic tool to work. While driving back home, the car backfires a ton at like 50 in 5th gear.

My question is, do you all think this is just spark plugs/wires or could it be the gas I used? Or am I entirely overlooking something else here? I bought the plugs and wires, because I'm HOPING that's the problem. I'll swap them in the morning and post back, but your insight would be helpful to diagnose this issue.

Here's a vid I took when I got home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nlym_520Kw
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a misfire in number 4 and it was a bad coil pack. something to look into. and add some heet and octane booster.