Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' 5.3 w/ fuel cell help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' 5.3 w/ fuel cell help

Hey all, I dont post here too often, but Ive been looking for answers on this and cant seem to get any.

Im building a 76' FJ40 Land cruiser that I put an 01' 5.3L vortec in. Its out of a GMC sierra.
Im going to have to run a fuel cell. I talked with the smog refs here in NV and they told me that I would only have to meet the req's for a 76. However, they DID have concerns about the fuel cell and how it will vent.
Now, on my motor, I will be capping the EGR, but the EVAP deal is still there. Could I run my vent line off the cell and connect it to the EVAP line? Do I just get a charcoal cannister and run the vent to it?
Im a little confused about the EVAP thing, how it works and what to do with it.
Can anyone foresee any additional problems with the interfacing with the computer system? Ive been reading some of the threads on her via search on the EVAP system and it says that you would need a venting cap, which the fuel cell does not have.
I got my harness from Howell injection and a re programmed computer which BECAUSE I didnt need all the smog stuff for this build the did not wire in the smog gear.
Ill say, this is my FIRST EVER full build, so Im sort of learning as I go especially with the motor and wiring etc.

Any information and or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

Hello Sir. What you can do is to install a fuel line from the fuel cell to the evap vent on the top of the Lm7 intake. You can by pas the hole system wit a timer relee. Let me explain, when you start the car the evap open up, let the gas into the intake an close after 10 sec or something. What YOU must think about is, the extreme sun and temp. That's the biggest problem. You see, on the cars and truck it's regulated by a pressure valve in the fuel cell.
When the pressure is to big, it's open up the valve "the one on the intake" and let the gas into the intake and it's burning up when you start the engine. if the car truck stands in the sun for a week, it goes out of the throttle body, but the government don't care more then on day of the time
You need to show with a gas cap whiteout vent, but use a cap with went when you get your plates on the truck.
I'm not sure if you understood what i mean, but it was the way i solved it on a 72 blazer with the same engine.
Reg Chris.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris10an
Hello Sir. What you can do is to install a fuel line from the fuel cell to the evap vent on the top of the Lm7 intake. You can by pas the hole system wit a timer relee. Let me explain, when you start the car the evap open up, let the gas into the intake an close after 10 sec or something. What YOU must think about is, the extreme sun and temp. That's the biggest problem. You see, on the cars and truck it's regulated by a pressure valve in the fuel cell.
When the pressure is to big, it's open up the valve "the one on the intake" and let the gas into the intake and it's burning up when you start the engine. if the car truck stands in the sun for a week, it goes out of the throttle body, but the government don't care more then on day of the time
You need to show with a gas cap whiteout vent, but use a cap with went when you get your plates on the truck.
I'm not sure if you understood what i mean, but it was the way i solved it on a 72 blazer with the same engine.
Reg Chris.

Not quite getting it....
So youre saying (essentially) I should T off the pick up line FROM the fuel cell (the one with gas going TO the motor) and run it to the EVAP line on the intake? Am I getting that right?
So the EVAP essentially provides a small burst of fuel (sort of like a primer) for the injectors for initial start up, then switches OFF after the fuel pump starts to provide adequate fuel to run the motor?
How does the EVAP tie into the charcoal canister?

Thanks for the input!

I appreciate ANY info!

Quick Reply: 01' 5.3 w/ fuel cell help