LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What to do with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my car?

I finally got a decent- paying job and I'm getting on my feet financially, so I'm going to finally get started on my car after almost 6 years. I'd like some help though. My biggest decisions here are whether or not to mod my car at all and if so, to what extent? Should I mod it or leave it alone and get something else to play with? I don't know if I want to drop thousands into my car, partially because I've had it for a while and don't want to rip it apart and also, I'm sick of having to worry about whether or not a mod will cause my car to fail NY state inspection. The other cars I'm considering are an '84- '85 Vette (because they're emissions exempt), and doing a motor and tranny swap with one of those, a third gen or a Monte SS.

I just had the engine replaced with a re- manufactured one less than 5k miles ago, so the engine is basically new and has a 3 year warranty on it. It already has a cat back and CAI. First, I plan on adding long tubes and getting a mail- order tune. After that, should I save up and get a 12 bolt and suspension pieces/ brakes before I touch anything else?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Storms of War
I finally got a decent- paying job and I'm getting on my feet financially, so I'm going to finally get started on my car after almost 6 years. I'd like some help though. My biggest decisions here are whether or not to mod my car at all and if so, to what extent? Should I mod it or leave it alone and get something else to play with? I don't know if I want to drop thousands into my car, partially because I've had it for a while and don't want to rip it apart and also, I'm sick of having to worry about whether or not a mod will cause my car to fail NY state inspection. The other cars I'm considering are an '84- '85 Vette (because they're emissions exempt), and doing a motor and tranny swap with one of those, a third gen or a Monte SS.

I just had the engine replaced with a re- manufactured one less than 5k miles ago, so the engine is basically new and has a 3 year warranty on it. It already has a cat back and CAI. First, I plan on adding long tubes and getting a mail- order tune. After that, should I save up and get a 12 bolt and suspension pieces/ brakes before I touch anything else?
brakes are always a good start. very much so it your car is an lt car.
if your engine is newish mind as well keep the thing then imo. idk how modding and ny inspections go tho. if its an lt1 stroke the freaking thing and if its an ls motor do cam and heads.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unless your in nyc or maybe buffalo i wouldnt worry about mods. especially if its a 95 or older. i dont know what you mean 84-85 corvettes are exempt. there still going to check and see if there is a cat on the car and that pretty much all they look for when inspecting a car in upstate ny. if your 96 and new you do get hooked up to a nys inspection computer. i know in the city the do a sniffer test.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

My car is a '95, but it failed inspection due to too high of a hydrocarbon count, if I'm not mistaken. Cars that are 25 years old or older are exempt. Even if they need a cat to be on there, throwing a cat on once a year is a lot easier than making sure all of the AIR/ EGR/ computer equipment is in order, on top of making sure that your car isn't cammed too heavily to pass, etc. Simply put, it would be a lot easier to get an older car to run than trying to coordinate everything in something that has a more rigorous emissions test.

Anyhow, I just had a rebuilt engine put in, so it's not being taken apart for a stroker kit or internal replacement beyond a cam. I don't want anything to do with nitrous (if you get caught with your bottle open around here, your car is impounded). I'd consider one of the weaker superchargers, but I'd rather do a H/C/I package first.

Does this help?- My goal is to have a car which handles noticeably better than my stock LT1 Trans Am and runs mid 11's. Should I gut mine and work the ***** off of it or should I just start with another car altogether? Regardless of the decision, my LT1 will never be sold. I've had it for too long to get rid of it.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

First of all, is this your daily driver? If so, then i recommend getting a beater car for daily driver duties. Then you can mod the car without rushing to install something or do something more radical. If not, then i would do all of the bolt-on's and then start with a cam.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray it.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Launching!

hmm either spray it, or just build the weak points of the car first (rear end) i just h/c/i my car and there is no point if you cant get the power to the ground.. so i would say do minor stuff at first(performance wise) and do other things to make the car ready for a power-plant if you ever want to.. and if you dont decide to make the motor faster down the road you still have good suspension parts so it handles good, and dont have to ever worry about breaking the 10 bolt.. just my opinion lol
Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you have to be in nyc becuase they only do visual inspection in the rest of ny unless you have a 1996 and up.

im up in albany ny. they have never even opened the hood of my car. when the car is up on the lift they look and see if it has a cat and if it does then your fine (if you know people most times you dont even need that).

i wonder what would happen if you ran up to Albany and tried to have the car inspected up here.

by the way my freind has an 05 sti with no cats and he even passes every year.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm on Long Island, about 25 minutes away from Manhattan.

I plan on getting a beater, so that's not an issue. I can't spray on it, because like I said, not only does your car get impounded automatically if you get caught with an open N2O bottle, but I want the power to be there 100% of the time. If I'm doing a power adder, it would most likely be a supercharger.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Do a turbo instead of a supercharger. Turbos are more efficient than a supercharger, and they can be more docile on the street.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Can the stock internals handle one better than the other(supercharger or turbo)? 5lbs of boost would be about as much as I'd run, as that seems to be regarded as a safe number, so long as the car is tuned well. I guess I'd be better doing the heads and cam. I still don't know if I want to do this. Whatever car I decide to modify is going to get gutted, and I don't know if I want to do that to the T/A.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Wait 'till the warranty is up before you start doing mods. Once the warranty is up, get a daily driver and then start the motor mods. There are upgrades you can do and pass emissions. FI is probably the best way around it for the most power.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

What warranty? The car is 15 years old. OP, i would just stick with heads and cam for now. Why do you want to gut it tho? I mean sure less weight the better but if its going to be a fun weekend car, i know i wouldnt want to cruise around in a car thats been gutted. If going to be track car only, then i say strap a blower on there.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Default cam

Ok well want to get somebody's opinion of a 304 comp cam...I'm only looking at a street strip mod..but still want opinions. Help me out guys. Also don't know how to make friends on here but would like to so that. its easier to find out info and specs
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texastransam1
Ok well want to get somebody's opinion of a 304 comp cam...I'm only looking at a street strip mod..but still want opinions. Help me out guys. Also don't know how to make friends on here but would like to so that. its easier to find out info and specs
You should start your own thread to ask that question.

OP, turbo sounds like a fun street car! H/C would also be fun, and the power would always be there instead of having to turn on the bottle... But, I still say TURBO IT!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

In my opinion..do the suspension along with the rear.. brakes are a must!!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll give a different opinion - the easy answer is - do nothing and keep it stock. If you're just getting back on your feet and saving money, putting money into a 15 year old car that is not gaining value is not the smart choice. save your money and drive the car as far as you can the way it is. once you're fully back on your feet think about adding mods. Along the way , look for great deals on used parts and should be easier to accomplish your goals.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Well, like stated above start my doing the free mods and the cheaper mods first.. things will progress slowly. If you DECIDE to start modding then be sure to do plenty of research on the combo you decide to go with..

Make goals for yourself and the car.. Maybe even a list of the things you would like to change.. It could be visual changes and performance related.. So, once you figure that out..we are all here to help..good luck..

Quick Reply: What to do with my car?