LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A couple of quick questions for you guys..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of quick questions for you guys..

Are LT1 heads performance heads? Or can you modify them to make them perform better with my cam (CC 503)

At 130,000 miles should i be assuming that my valve seats are wasted?

How long do our stock torque converters last?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by red-_-z28
Are LT1 heads performance heads? Or can you modify them to make them perform better with my cam (CC 503)

At 130,000 miles should i be assuming that my valve seats are wasted?

How long do our stock torque converters last?
LT1 heads are LT1 heads. They can be ported to perform incredibly well, but as-cast they aren't bad by any means. I have ported stock heads on my 383 and put down the times in my sig.

Valve "seats" aren't a normal wear component. Perhaps you mean valve "seals?"

A stock torque converter will last as long as the fluid.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

The valve seats? possibly head seats? The valve meshes with head. Thats what im referring to.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

The valve seats? possibly head seats? The valve meshes with head. Thats what im referring to.
that doesn't wear like your thinkin and 130k is just broken in for an LT1!
check out advanced induction and lloyd elliot to see what can be done with stock castings
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

How much am i looking to get them ported and polished?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Im thinking that i'm not making good vaccum, the engine has a (stock) rebuild but i never touched the heads..
Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What makes you think you're not making "good vacuum?"
Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

How much am i looking to get them ported and polished?
got google?
http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLT1.html
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Well my dad just rebuilt his 98 350 Vortech Silverado. 117k miles..after the rebuild was done he started it up and then ended up pulling them back off and took the heads to Kim Barr Racing engines shop. They agreed on the heads having alot of wear and loss of vacuum and performance.

My car recently has been going down hill on power, yet i still need a tune.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

explain further please
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
explain further please
about?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
What makes you think you're not making "good vacuum?"
such a decrease in power
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

such a decrease in power
You may be over shooting possible problems here. If you are worried about a compression problem do a compression test and leak down test. I would be looking at putting a vacume meter on it to see where its at. if it's down on vacume the intake gaskets or vacume lines may be the place to look instead of internal parts wearing down. Another area to look is the ignition system. If your plugs, wires, and opti have never been changed then it may be that time. also O2's that get "lazzy" can cause a loss of power. I wouldn't just start jumping to conclussions on this LT1. I pulled a 100k mile engine apart and the cross thatch on the cylinder walls from the original bore and hone was still like brand new. Vortec engines have problems with stock heads. I have a 97 tahoe with one. The vortec aluminum heads loved to crack. GM had a ton of warrenty work on those things and ended up out sorcing some of that work. Mine has replacement heads on it and just about everyone of them I come across has replacement heads.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jaycenk
You may be over shooting possible problems here. If you are worried about a compression problem do a compression test and leak down test. I would be looking at putting a vacume meter on it to see where its at. if it's down on vacume the intake gaskets or vacume lines may be the place to look instead of internal parts wearing down. Another area to look is the ignition system. If your plugs, wires, and opti have never been changed then it may be that time. also O2's that get "lazzy" can cause a loss of power. I wouldn't just start jumping to conclussions on this LT1. I pulled a 100k mile engine apart and the cross thatch on the cylinder walls from the original bore and hone was still like brand new. Vortec engines have problems with stock heads. I have a 97 tahoe with one. The vortec aluminum heads loved to crack. GM had a ton of warrenty work on those things and ended up out sorcing some of that work. Mine has replacement heads on it and just about everyone of them I come across has replacement heads.

bro all of that is new, when i pulled the engine all ignition **** was replaced, with quality stuff too..
Im running cc 503 with LT pacesetters. Many people tell me i need to get it tuned but i feel like the computer wont just keep going down hill. So therefore i assume its somewhere else. When we put the engine back together we didnt have the money to even touch the springs
I just cracked a flexplate so last night i pulled the tranny and we ordered new springs to accommodate w/ my cam. Seems to me i should go ahead and pull those heads of and get him grind down, ported and polished. Plus i have a nasty oil leak coming from the opti we assume but then again its sprayed all over the bottom of the water pump...is that possible?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Im running cc 503 When we put the engine back together we didnt have the money to even touch the springs
I !
Right there is a huge huge problem!!! I just tweaked your post to show everyone that dont read through alot of these threads!
Get some cheap springs on her ASAP! Isky D235 springs are cheap and require ZERO machine work, and Im sure a hundred other people will tell you the same on here.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Sorry didnt see you bought the springs at the end of your quote. This will help you out a ton!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

wow, a lot of questions at once?

so you did a cam swap? do you remember the numbers? that could have possibly thrown off your computer and might be why your noticing other issues.

if your pulling the heads off you have 2 choices.. one get them completely redone by a company or buy a set of aftermarket heads such as AFR's..

But, look into LE kits too.. and you might need to go through the car before you break something else.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Rockstar

So you didn't get it tuned with a cam and boltons? if so, that's part of your problem.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
Right there is a huge huge problem!!! I just tweaked your post to show everyone that dont read through alot of these threads!
Get some cheap springs on her ASAP! Isky D235 springs are cheap and require ZERO machine work, and Im sure a hundred other people will tell you the same on here.
really? i read all over the place that changing the springs is mandatory but since it wasnt an extremely huge cam we took the risk..it just doesnt make since that as time goes on my power decreases and decreases.

But thats great. I got the beehive ones that work perfect with my cam!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
So you didn't get it tuned with a cam and boltons? if so, that's part of your problem.

Yes that's correct. I knew it was throwing my computer off but can a computer become more and more retarded as time goes on and cause the engine to run more poorly?

Quick Reply: A couple of quick questions for you guys..