Racer's Lounge - Any hardcore sports fan ever develop a "second-favorite" sports teams?

Vendetta
06-15-2010, 12:47 AM
I've always been a die-hard, root-for-the-home team sports fan. I'm a hardcore Yankee fan, but this season I've slowly been developing an affinity for the San Francisco Giants. I'm basically a full-blown Giants fan at this point. I've never had any second-favorite sports team in my life until now.

Anybody else have any second-favorite teams? I never thought that I'd ever develop one, I used to think of it as sacrilege to root for a team other than my home team.

00MaroonZ28
06-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm a Bears and Colts fan. Since Favre's been in Minnesota I've been more a Colts and Vikes fan though. Like to see him give the Packers a F.U. and win a super bowl with the Vikes.

LSXNV
06-15-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm an Iowa Hawkeyes freak, but I love any team that beats Ohio State. And Penn State too. I have respect for Ohio State though, I have absolutely NONE for Penn State.

Oh, on a side note, it seems the Big Ten just got a little bigger.

Ruck
06-15-2010, 01:00 AM
red sox fan here but you gotta love the A's poppin up every once in a while winnin stuff with the lowest budget in the league.

SSmoken
06-15-2010, 01:00 AM
been a braves fan my entire life. idk why either. i guess because i like chipper jones and i grew up in the 90's when the braves were fairly dominant and had one of the best rotations in the game during that time. Now i also enjoy watching the rays alot. small market young team that doesnt have big money to go get big names. they use the players that they develop. plus they are in the al east with the two big dogs and hold their own here as of late.

98RedBird
06-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Nah, I never have really. I'm a die hard Packers fan... I like Manning though, so I usually pull for the Colts as long as they're not playing the Packers. But as far as I see it they're all enemies.

00MaroonZ28
06-15-2010, 01:28 AM

They're still gonna suck.

01 WS6 WV
06-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Hockey im a lightning fan.. then a flyers fan

GMmexican
06-15-2010, 01:49 AM
49ers fan here.......I become a fan of the Steelers when they had Rod Woodson,the bus, chad brown,slash kordell stewart as a project. But the recent Big Ben scandal has turned me away from the team.

Just Floor It
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Cowboys fan. Im a big Favre fan, too

-Ross-
06-15-2010, 07:44 AM
I tend to cheer on the Spurs when they are in the playoffs and the Rockets aren't. Better than cheering for the Mavericks. Hehe.

For whatever gay reason I liked the LA Dodgers when I was about 12 - 1989ish. I guess I had jumped on the bandwagon when they won the series in 1988. I always have liked their blue hats too.

I rooted for the Texas Rangers right around the same time when Nolan Ryan signed with them. Astros first though.

Z Fury
06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
With football, it is Jags then Bears.

mbrownin
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
In football, Steelers first, then Redskins (lost cause however), then whoever is playing the Cowboys. In basketball, whoever is playing the Lakers.

LSXNV
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
They're still gonna suck.

Not likely, The SEC has had a good run. They were impressive (except against the Hawkeyes). But the honeymoon is over. Goodnight SEC.

transbull01
06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I think a good portion of committed sports fans have a second team that they will root for when it is not in competition with their main team. I think the fondness for the second team is usually born from an affinity for a player, coach, or identity. This differs from the type of bond developed for a home team where there is a personal connection to the team based upon geography.

Personally, in the three areas of sport that I follow, NCAA football, NFL football, and MLB, I will root for Ohio State then Notre Dame, Tampa Bay Buccaneers then Indianapolis Colts, New York Yankees then Philadelphia Phillies.

NCAA football: I live in TN and abhor the Vols fan culture, plus my family hails from just south of Columbus, OH. When I was a teen I loved the movie Rudy and was a huge Joe Montana Fan (Notre Alum).

MLB: There aren't any baseball teams regionally and I grew up emulating Don Mattingly. I just love the persona of the Phillies organization.

NFL football: Tampa Bay with their history of losing, god-awful uniforms and great players like hardy nickerson, mike alstott, warrick dunn, warren sapp, derrick brooks, ronde barber, barrett ruud are just begging to be loved by somebody. Peyton Manning is the man, not a better pure QB ever. The fact that Tony Dungy was head coach for both teams also has a lot to do with it.

Cole Train
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Vikings 1st and a 2nd team is the Colts. I've been a diehard Vikings fan since i was 2 or 3 and i like the colts mainly because of Payton Manning :) For baseballs it's the Twins only :D

skywalkrNCSU
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I have my teams and then I usually have another team I root for. I don't really keep this team specific in most cases, it is more who the players are and the style of play. Right now I am a diehard Steelers fan but I cheer for the Chargers because of Philip Rivers. For hockey I am a Pens fan first but then since I live in the Raleigh area I cheer for the Hurricanes. And for whatever reason I have always cheered for the Oregon Ducks...Not sure where that one came from :lol:

shiv15
06-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm an Iowa Hawkeyes freak, but I love any team that beats Ohio State. And Penn State too. I have respect for Ohio State though, I have absolutely NONE for Penn State.

Diehard Michigan fan here, and like your LSXNV I root for any team that beats OSU.

Vendetta
06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I could see it being much easier to have multiple favorites in college sports, where there are many more teams and many situations that would cause people to have multiple loyalties, ie growing up in one region and then going to school at another D1 institution.

chevynation
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
^ x2. I kinda have a favorite in each conference - Oklahoma, Michigan, & Miami, but my Sun Devils take the cake overall.

In Pro football, I used to love the Cardinals and Steelers, but with Warner retired (and that USC queer Lienart at QB) and Big Ben raping girls in dirty bars, I pretty much have a reason to hate every single team.. even though I love the sport, lol.

RyanJ
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah. Mavs first, Celtics second (fan of KG, now Rondo). Cowboys then Saints or Falcons. I grew up in SC so i actually have an affinity for all those Atlanta teams, and of course Univ. of South Carolina (World series baby!).

00MaroonZ28
06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Not likely, The SEC has had a good run. They were impressive (except against the Hawkeyes). But the honeymoon is over. Goodnight SEC.
LOL... Yeah, how many national titles does the Big 10 have since the BCS started? One.

SEC 6

SEC is 6-0 in BCS championship games.
Still no confrence can compete with that.

NCAA football: I live in TN and abhor the Vols fan culture, plus my family hails from just south of Columbus, OH. When I was a teen I loved the movie Rudy and was a huge Joe Montana Fan (Notre Alum).

LOL... GO VOLS!!!!!!

Speed Density
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM
You almost have to like two teams in any sport, it's kinda mandatory.

For me it goes like this, the first being my favorite obviously:

Football
Minney
Chiefers

Baseball
Tortonto
Minney

Hockey
Habs
Sharks

ZigZagZ
06-15-2010, 06:02 PM
I've been a Detroit Lions fan all my life. I believe they've only won 1 playoff game in my lifetime. Even though I've lived in New Orleans for a long time, I'm still a Lions fan.