Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani Catback Problems? Look Here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Bassani Catback Problems? Look Here.

If any of you Firebird/Trans Am owners purchase a Bassani 2.5" stainless steel true dual catback and notice that the over-panhard-bar pipe is pushing against the upper panhard bar and rattling over bumps, it is probably because you need an exhaust hangar body mount from a Camaro, because the Camaro one is different than the Firebird one and tucks the exhaust higher, which pulls the over-axle pipe higher. I'm pretty sure that Bassani designed the system on a Camaro and just assumed that the Firebirds would have the same exhaust hangars because they are both F-bodies... The problem is, they don't. I just happened to already have an extra mount from a parts Camaro and had a welding/fabrication shop bend the hangar on the piping a little to increase clearance a little more (and re-weld a cracked area).
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy that used Bassani in Redlands for $400?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thank you, I'm going to try this very soon!

Does it rub or bang anymore?

If it works It'll obviously be much cheaper to get an exhaust hanger than a ypipe and new catback ughh.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Did you buy that used Bassani in Redlands for $400?
It was in the Perris area for $500. It was the one on Carbonfiberbird's car.

Originally Posted by kct385
Well thank you, I'm going to try this very soon!

Does it rub or bang anymore?

If it works It'll obviously be much cheaper to get an exhaust hanger than a ypipe and new catback ughh.
I have only driven it about 2 blocks over bumps and drainage dips and so far so good, no obnoxious banging or rubbing at all and the exhaust is held pretty firmly when you shake it by hand with very minimal rattling/clunking, none of which being from the upper panhard bar. I'd say at least 90% if not 100% of the exhaust rattling is gone. I paid the fabrication shop $20 to do the modification and repair to the piping hangar, and the mount was free. I'd imagine you could pick up a Camaro hangar at a junkyard for like $5-$10. You'll need a 13mm socket and maybe a 6" extension and a universal joint to remove/install. I managed with a 13mm deep and extension, and 13mm open end wrench.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZexGX
It was in the Perris area for $500. It was the one on Carbonfiberbird's car.

I have only driven it about 2 blocks over bumps and drainage dips and so far so good, no obnoxious banging or rubbing at all and the exhaust is held pretty firmly when you shake it by hand with very minimal rattling/clunking, none of which being from the upper panhard bar. I'd say at least 90% if not 100% of the exhaust rattling is gone. I paid the fabrication shop $20 to do the modification and repair to the piping hangar, and the mount was free. I'd imagine you could pick up a Camaro hangar at a junkyard for like $5-$10. You'll need a 13mm socket and maybe a 6" extension and a universal joint to remove/install. I managed with a 13mm deep and extension, and 13mm open end wrench.
Do you think if you ordered an extra over axle pipe from Bassani, and swapped out the under axle pipe, using the UMI upper PHR relocation bar, you could have them both over the axle?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Do you think if you ordered an extra over axle pipe from Bassani, and swapped out the under axle pipe, using the UMI upper PHR relocation bar, you could have them both over the axle?
I'm not sure but I doubt it. There is not enough room stock for two over axle pipes without rubbing issues. One goes over the upper panhard bar and the other goes under the panhard bar after going over the axle (they BOTH go over the axle). If you bought two over-PHB pipes then you would still have to modify the new one or scrap it and fab it from scratch because it wouldn't line up to the proper hole in the muffler. My car is pretty low and I do not have a problem with scraping of the under-PHB pipe, mainly just the drivers side cat piping.

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-15-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Bassani Catback Problems? Look Here.