Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting question for any manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting question for any manual transmission

Just curious if what I've been doing is a good or bad habit that I got into. Lately in any manual transmission vehicle if I'm in 5th (6th) gear and coming to a stop sign or stop light, when I slow to the point where the tach is around 1K rpm +- depending on vehicle, I just pull it out of gear. No clutch. I only do it when it will come out of gear easily. My reasoning for this is it would seem to me this is less wear and tear on throw out bearing etc. Is it bad for something else though? This way I'm not holding clutch in while sitting at stop light, or having to push clutch in, and let back out in neutral, then push in again before taking off. Or is sitting at a light with clutch pushed in not that hard on a throwout bearing? I've been told it's not a good thing to do.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

That bogs engine down, engine wrkn harder to because of such a high gear, why throw in nuetral and ease on the brake? Brakes are easy to replace....
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

You aren't going to hurt anything. You can feel when there is no load on the gear and if it pops out with little force it isn't going to tear anything up. But doing it to save the throw out bearing is kinda dumb. Just go on and say your too lazy to hit the clutch that one time. I know cause I do it too on both my vehicles.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by th3unwant3d1
That bogs engine down, engine wrkn harder to because of such a high gear, why throw in nuetral and ease on the brake? Brakes are easy to replace....
I don't pull it out of gear till almost stopped anyway. Very little engine braking left, and not much brake pedal needed.

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
You aren't going to hurt anything. You can feel when there is no load on the gear and if it pops out with little force it isn't going to tear anything up. But doing it to save the throw out bearing is kinda dumb. Just go on and say your too lazy to hit the clutch that one time. I know cause I do it too on both my vehicles.
You are correct! It is partially be lazy but partially being **** retentive.
That's exactly when I do it, no positive or negative loading so to speak. Just slips out of gear.

Thanks just wanting to make sure I wasn't hurting anything in any manual transmissions.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Speedyws6

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Q/C m6 13.7 @ 106

Really? Nice!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it makes 660 rwhp on a little shot of nitrous. But it's 2wd so it is a slouch out of the hole.

In that truck if I want to coast I'll give it enough throttle to maintain my speed and it will pop out of gear with ease.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
Yeah it makes 660 rwhp on a little shot of nitrous. But it's 2wd so it is a slouch out of the hole.

In that truck if I want to coast I'll give it enough throttle to maintain my speed and it will pop out of gear with ease.
Nice!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks

Quick Reply: Shifting question for any manual transmission