General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to replace front turn signal housings on 2000 TA.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to replace front turn signal housings on 2000 TA.

Hey im getting sick and tired of replacing front turn signal bulbs every time it rains, so i got a pair of new front turn signal housings. Not sure of the easiest way to replace em tho. A friend of mine said that the front bumper has to come off, is that true? Anyone have a writeup or step by step on how to do this?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can replace them thru the access panel on the bottom, same way you replace the bulbs. Might have to jack the car up or get some ramps so you can get under there easier to see. Just use your new housing to determine where the screws are, its been years since I've done it, so I do not remember step by step...but I did replace them via the access hole.
But just a heads up, you will have the same issue again, I replaced my housings several times before drilling a small (1/8") hole on the bottom of each housing to allow water to drain when it gets in there. Even with new housings, they will eventually allow water in. Best to do the hole now, before water ruins the reflective finish of the housings.

Also if your sockets are corroded, you can replace them with new sockets ($8 from autozone). You do NOT have to splice wires, just replace the plastic socket....easy swap and have not had an issue with my DRLs for years now.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rechaulked mine before I put them in......I mean my new ones and so far not one problem
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could raise the headlights and take the black plastic piece off and access them throught there. Where did you get the housings from? My passenger side is cracked and I did the $8.00 AutoZone replacement sockets and don't want them getting corroded.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to grab some new sockets too then lol. Thank you for all the input guys!

And I ordered mine through a friend who works at a shop, was able to get em pretty cheap. Also cheap at salvage yards and on ebay.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack the car up and get them through the bottom access panel. They are held in by 3 small 8mm i believe.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the access panel right below the blinker housing AND lifted the headlights and remove that black plastic cover. Any way you go about it, its a little of a PITA.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I'm getting ready to have to do this too. If you drill a hole in the bottom of the housing will water not get in through the hole, or is it covered by the access panel? Sorry I havent looked under the car yet.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its covered by the access panel...if water were to get in...you would be driving a ton of water and water in the housing would be the least of my worries. Just use like 1/8" drill bit so that the water that does collect in from the cracks can dry out and not build condensation as the housings heat up from use.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i understand now I took a look yesterday

Quick Reply: How to replace front turn signal housings on 2000 TA.