LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Q's about tuning and which direction to take the car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about tuning and which direction to take the car.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to keep the car, so I'm tossing around a few ideas for the next big thing.

Car is a 95 LT1, 68,xxx mi, M6, full exhaust (longtubes), CAI, and a couple of other little things. Its my DD and will stay that way. Should I finish the bolt-ons? Other than electric water pump, just replaced with a normal one =( Are UD pullies worth it? Bigger TB? P/P?

I want to get the car a mail order tune, it runs a bit rich and I know it should pick it up a bit more, but I'm thinking maybe I should just wait until I'm sure on my plans so I'm not just wasting the money.

I'm really considering doing a 125-150 wet shot on the car (done a little research, info is always appreciated) with all the proper safety equipment, but I will have to upgrade the fuel pump, right? What else? Also if I do nitrous, I want the most out of it, so I don't think the mail order tune would give me the best hit, should it be dyno tuned or what? (I don't really know much about tuning, TBH)

The other side of me doesn't enjoy how the car FEELS anymore, I hate the bloated boat and its ride height. So maybe I should go for a suspension set up? It rides pretty rough as it is, but if I do this I want performance AND at least a little better ride comfort than the stock suspension (I know you can't get the best of both worlds, but what would be the best compromise?) What all should I get?

In short, what is the most cost effective and most fun out of a DD, in your opinion?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think you should get the tune and then work on the suspension. you can make all the power in the world but if you cant put it to the ground it doesn't mean squat.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

For a DD I'd be most interested in a car that 1.) Sounds good 2.) Rides/handles well 3.) Stops well

Pulleys aren't worth much at all and a larger TB is not needed at your modding point so I would just get a tune to wrap things up nicely. Then grab yourself a nice set of shocks and lowering springs and maybe sway bars too. A F-body with Koni shocks, Strano springs and Strano bars would be a killer DD. You could also get subframes, control arms etc. etc. but the springs will give you the ride height you want and shocks will give you the most substantial gain in terms of handling and suspension feel versus anything else so I would focus on those two first.

FWIW, If my car was a DD besides having a smaller cam and a 6-speed I'd have the C5 front brake upgrade, Konis all the way around, Strano springs and Strano bars. My dad has an '06 GTO with full bolt-ons, full suspension and bigger brakes and it's a blast to drive around in, he loves it as a DD. Nitrous would be cool but wouldn't you rather have a nice riding and handling vehicle that you use/feel 100% of the time instead of a hit of spray that you use/feel once in a while.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 06-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things from Koni and Strano, so thats what I was leaning towards, still don't know much about them though.

Seems pretty pricey though.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem
I've heard nothing but good things from Koni and Strano, so thats what I was leaning towards, still don't know much about them though.

Seems pretty pricey though.
Do some searching over in the Suspension forum you will see a wealth of information about both products. From my own experience with the Strano stuff and what I have heard about the Konis they both seem to be the best of the best. Both are expensive but I think you definitely get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Q's about tuning and which direction to take the car.