Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran with low fluid at felt the trans slip slightly going home from track...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ran with low fluid at felt the trans slip slightly going home from track...

So i was an excited idiot and went to the track to try the et steets on stock stall before i order my circle d... shift points were programmed at 6000 rpm (checked programming after all this happened) but shifts were occuring at 6400 by my logs... i was wondering wtf... but somehow never checked the fluid... such a basic thing i feel so stupid. The shifts were very firm though and not sloppy at all.. basically i thought i had somehow messed up the tune with the shifts and didnt think to check fluid.. im stupid i know.

then on the way home i noticed the trans slip slightly in 3rd gear when giving it half throttle on the way home... as soon as i felt the rpms higher then normal i let out of it knowing something was wrong... after further driving home from the track (only 3 miles) it didnt slip at all with the converter locked in overdrive (stock tcc lockup tables)...

so do you think i did any damage to my trans? its a stock transmission and thats the first time ive ever felt it slip what so ever.. i checked the fluid today and its barely on the dipstick. Im ordering a circle d 3600 and im wondering if its going to be a waste to order it without a new built tranny... atleast the circle d comes with a free cut and flush if the tranny is toasted after i install it...

so just how bad is it to run on low fluid... i know its not good... but fluid does not smell burnt at all so im hoping it will be fine for this year. thanks guys
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know a whole lot but i think you should be fine. when you pull the pan and drain the fluid inspect it for color and smell and if everything is fine i would just continue the install. just make sure you get a new filter and gasket when you put everything back together and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: ran with low fluid at felt the trans slip slightly going home from track...