Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did poly mm and tranny mount.... strange smell!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did poly mm and tranny mount.... strange smell!!

i had prothane poly mm and tranny mounts installed after i did my headers and now everytime i drive the car theres a really weird smell that comes from what seems like just the drivers side... if i smell between the hood and windshield on the drivers side it's really strong and if i do the same on the pass side i dont smell it... smells like a mix between when u let the air out of a tire and a dead animal (best way i can describe it lol... anyway it stinks) what could that be?
also, there was really no extra vibration after the motor/tranny mount install except in 3rd gear (i'm an A4)... when i manually put it in 3rd gear theres ALOT of vibration! can anybody help me out here?!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hit an animal recently? parts of it stuck to your headers? (happened to me )

EDIT: before anyone says anything.... it was already dead....
Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you may have had a rat crawl up in there and die. Does it smell like that after the car sits overnight before starting it?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

nah it's def not a dead animal..... and yea it only smells like that after the car has been driven... i've noticed that if i manually put it in 3rd gear and get down on it some the smell is alot stronger... and like i said in the previous post when i put it in 3rd gear and go heavy throttle there is alot of vibration, this started immediately after they tranny/motor mount intall... the smell is alot stronger after the heavy vibration.... if i keep it in Drive and put around town it really dosn't smell....
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

smells like the mounts are burning or something....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've read that some people have had issues with poly mounts melting a little on them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tor-mount.html
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

if the smell is like a burnt smell that immediately started after installing new mounts, I'd venture to say it's those. more a of a cooking odor would be an animal, but it doesn't seem like it's the case, as normally you can see everything in there anyways.

your engine block and tranny do get exceptionally hot...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conor.davis
I've read that some people have had issues with poly mounts melting a little on them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tor-mount.html
yeah my guess was the driver side motor mount was melting a little... the guy that put them in for me had to make some kind of adjustments to the drivers side because he couldnt get something to line up (can't tell u what exactly cause i dont know enough about them) but i think it's where my car has been previously wrecked.... so if it is the motor mount melting how serious of an issue is that? somethin i shouldnt worry too much about or what?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I would try to take a look at the driver side mount and see if it is melting. See how close it is to your header. How long has it been going on? Also, going from stock to poly mounts, you can expect to feel more vibration in the car.

If the work was just done, sometimes fingerprints, various oils that may have been on the mechanics hands/gloves, will remain on the header(s) if they touched them, and can smell/smoke occasionally.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WutupYo
Well, I would try to take a look at the driver side mount and see if it is melting. See how close it is to your header. How long has it been going on? Also, going from stock to poly mounts, you can expect to feel more vibration in the car.

If the work was just done, sometimes fingerprints, various oils that may have been on the mechanics hands/gloves, will remain on the header(s) if they touched them, and can smell/smoke occasionally.
this has been going in since the day i got the car out of the shop, which is about two weeks now... and i expected there to be more vibration with the new mounts but it's only in third gear and only sometimes (when it's under medium to heavy throttle) not all the time.... and when the heavy vibration happens thats when i smell the burning smell the most.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it could be the coating they put on the header's, sometimes it takes a while to cook off.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

i've determined it's definately the drivers side motor mount.... i just don't know what would be causing it to melt
Old 06-19-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
i've determined it's definately the drivers side motor mount.... i just don't know what would be causing it to melt
A possible clog in your exhaust could be causing one side to run hot. Which could bring us back to the dead animal...

Pick up an IR thermal gun good for over 500 degrees and take surface temps of your each exhaust pipe on that side. If one is running hot it could be that cylinder is running rich/lean which could be a failing plug/wire/coil/injector.