LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

catted Y pipe for lpps

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question catted Y pipe for lpps

Lpp headers have a or y-pipe but I don't want to bother with emissions so I'm looking for a catted y-pipe to fit the headers. Does anyone know a good brand y-pipe to fit?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Why not try a LPP LS1 catted Y? As you will have to most likely mod anybody elses to fit with your LPPs. Some LS1 ORYs fit LT1s with trimming a few inches off the drivers side. Or email Carl of LPP and ask him if they can fit or what it takes, to make them fit if he knows.
They are priced cheap enough that if I wanted cats now I would try it. Just MHO, I think it would be worth it to stay all 321 stainless steel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LPP-L...e#ht_595wt_681

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 06-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I asked teh same thing a couple weeks ago. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...longtubes.html) I emailed Carl about using his ls1 y and he said he compared the two y's (ls1 catted and lt1 ory) and they didn't appear to be similar enough to be interchangeable. At least not in the same way (slight trimming) that Dub mentioned above.

I am considering buying a kooks catted y-pipe but I can't figure out if it will fit/slip right over the LPP's! Anybody know??
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do they not appear to be interchangeable. Carl advertised his ls1 x-pipe setup to be interchangeable. This was said to just slide on to their headers IIRC with a 2-3" trim on the driver side slip connection of the x-pipe setup.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by litch2004
why do they not appear to be interchangeable. Carl advertised his ls1 x-pipe setup to be interchangeable. This was said to just slide on to their headers IIRC with a 2-3" trim on the driver side slip connection of the x-pipe setup.
I don't know why. All he said was looking at them together it didn't look like the ls1 y would fit an lt1. He did mention that the x-pipe setup would fit.

I wish someone had both y's could lay them ontop of one-another and take a pic so we could see how they differed.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not just weld cats into the LPP ORY?? That is what every other red blooded american does
Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
why not just weld cats into the LPP ORY?? That is what every other red blooded american does

It won't look right having a cheap steel casing cat welded into a 321 polished stainless y-pipe. Sure it'll function fine, but I want form and function. If that's the route I'm taking, I'd rather just buy the steel pacesetter y-pipe and weld the cats into that.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't you buy stainless steel catalytic converters?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6Speed
It won't look right having a cheap steel casing cat welded into a 321 polished stainless y-pipe. Sure it'll function fine, but I want form and function. If that's the route I'm taking, I'd rather just buy the steel pacesetter y-pipe and weld the cats into that.
that could very well be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on this forum. A. most catalytic converters that are worth installing ARE stainless steel B. cats create a large amount of heat which is going to discolor regardless. C. who really gives a **** if your cats "match" your y pipe???

Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked teh same thing a couple weeks ago. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...longtubes.html) I emailed Carl about using his ls1 y and he said he compared the two y's (ls1 catted and lt1 ory) and they didn't appear to be similar enough to be interchangeable. At least not in the same way (slight trimming) that Dub mentioned above.

I am considering buying a kooks catted y-pipe but I can't figure out if it will fit/slip right over the LPP's! Anybody know??
At least you got a reply from Carl as I emailed them over a week ago and still no response? Not a good start in my mind for customer service.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
that could very well be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on this forum. A. most catalytic converters that are worth installing ARE stainless steel B. cats create a large amount of heat which is going to discolor regardless. C. who really gives a **** if your cats "match" your y pipe???

Yeah, I'm sure what I wrote is one of the most ridiculous thing you've ever read on this forum. Esp given some of the opinions and things I've seen people write. lol

A. I didn't know most were stainless, forgive me for not knowing everything. I looked up the magnaflow cat I bought and sure enough, it was stainless. Thanks.
B. I didn't know cats discolored...I've never owned a polished stainless y-pipe with cats in it, so i've never had the chance to see. Furthermore all the cats I've ever seen in person have had a heat shield around them and I didn't get to look at the actual casing of the cat.
C. I give a **** if my cats match the y-pipe and that's not ridiculous. Some people don't want to hack up a perfectly good y-pipe to weld cats into it.

Not any different than someone wanting all their bolts to match (all stainless or all black, or all whatever) or their exhaust system to be all oem or only SLP to match their SS, or whatever quirks someone might have. Some people don't care if half their 1/4 panel is primer. Diff strokes for diff folks.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm sure what I wrote is one of the most ridiculous thing you've ever read on this forum. Esp given some of the opinions and things I've seen people write. lol

A. I didn't know most were stainless, forgive me for not knowing everything. I looked up the magnaflow cat I bought and sure enough, it was stainless. Thanks.
B. I didn't know cats discolored...I've never owned a polished stainless y-pipe with cats in it, so i've never had the chance to see. Furthermore all the cats I've ever seen in person have had a heat shield around them and I didn't get to look at the actual casing of the cat.
C. I give a **** if my cats match the y-pipe and that's not ridiculous. Some people don't want to hack up a perfectly good y-pipe to weld cats into it.

Not any different than someone wanting all their bolts to match (all stainless or all black, or all whatever) or their exhaust system to be all oem or only SLP to match their SS, or whatever quirks someone might have. Some people don't care if half their 1/4 panel is primer. Diff strokes for diff folks.
Well if that's the case you better not buy a catted y-pipe since they cut up those perfect y-pipes to put cats in.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup and I may just throw a set of cats into the LPP Y just to get rid of some of the eye watering gases. If you have it done post back with some pics and costs so I can see.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Default lpp ?

hey i am a newbie and in the process of getting headers and ypipe and cat-back and read a lot about the lpp system...anybody know if they are worth it or have any issues? thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I needed a catted y for emissions, this what I bought from a member here.

Pypes cats and LPP y, works great with good clearence on a lowered car.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Attached Thumbnails catted Y pipe for lpps-cat1.jpg  

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 06-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

get these, this is what i did with my LPP catted ypipe. cost about 300 for both. I had a shop weld them and make them slip on right at the header so that I can still take it off if I need to

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2159

Quick Reply: catted Y pipe for lpps