Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What's wrong with my trans/converter?
Internal trans problem
0%
Tq converter is dead
0%
Can't tell by the desc
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo LSx TH400 - noise coming from the trans area

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LSx TH400 - noise coming from the trans area

I know there's no sure fire way to diagnose my issue with my description other than to take the trans out of the car and have everything looked over... but here's your chance to guess at my issue. I'll post up results as I'm going through the repairs.

So last night I took the car out to a car show. On the way home I got on it twice, once within 2-3mi of my house on a nice straight. I got it home and noticed a strange sound coming from the trans area.

No noticeable drivability problems... yet.

Put it in the garage and put it into park and the noise went away. Put it into R and it came back, N gone, D it came back.

The sound is hard to describe. It's a faint sound, the closest sound I can think of is like an exhaust rattle muffled by either the tq converter case or the trans housing itself.

This is ironic to me, because all night I was complaining to friends about how I think the car needs a converter because I was sure I was blowing through the one that is in the car now. I found out after it went into the car that it's a Midwest converters street converter. 3600 stall. The converter is rated for 450WHP NA cars... so obviously thats not enough for a turbo'd LS motor. Before the TH400 went in, the car put down 643/673 on a dynojet.

Post up your diagnosis and lets see who gets this right!