LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C, belt tensioner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C, belt tensioner questions

So a little back story, I replaced the A/C compressor with a new unit and the dryer, flushed all the lines/condenser a year ago.

Last week I replaced my alternator. Next day I turn the A/C on and it made horrible sounds, like the clutch was slipping, this occurred on and off. So I don't run the air for a couple days, go to where I bought the compressor, they tell me to get some gauges on there and see what the pressures are doing. So I do this, I know someone with gauges, they hook them up and tell me if anything I'm a little low, so they put some in. No hi pressures to cause the clutch to slip. The whole time this is going on its not doing it anyway, we could hear a lesser sound though. I pull away and it does it, but then immediately goes away and runs quiet. It would do this, make noise on start up but then run quiet.

Now I have a squeal like we initially heard with the A/C OFF. I'm starting to think the stock tensioner is going out at 193k. I can see the belt flex a bit while the motor is running, is this normal? I'm really hoping its not the A/C compressor, and now I have noises when the A/C is off anyway.

So if the belt has less tension on it, what could happen to other components? Could I end up with an A/C compressor issue like I am dealing with? Sometimes the P/S feels weird now also.

The pulley on the alternator I installed looked like it could be slightly smaller, but I don't think a huge difference in size that I would need to go to a different sized belt, I'm thinking its the tensioner? How can I tell if its shot? Will it still go back up, but might not be holding as much pressure?

I'm really at a loss as to what I should do. People who have replaced their tensioner, who did you use for the part? I see Advance Auto Parts has a Dayco for $36.

I know this post is long, but its making me crazy, and well FL is hot, I want my A/C system to perform normal!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace the tensioner they are cheap
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah just picked a tensioner up, hopefully resolves the issue.

Just picked up the book rebuild your LT1/LT4 from a member on here, hopefully that will get me through that other disaster that I posted last week.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Well after replacing the tensioner, looks like I need a shorter belt. The alternator I put on looks like it has a slightly smaller pulley than the one I took off. I have no idea what underdrive pulley is on this car, came with the motor, what are common belt part numbers I should pick up and see if they work?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just measure it out with a string. That is the way I got my custom belt size.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember to simulate the belt being on there and slightly back on the tensioner.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

dayco part number that is on there now is 5060600, which I'm guessing is a 60" belt. Should I just get a belt with one less inch, if they have such a thing? Its not like the belt is so loose it is going to fly off right now, but it definitely isn't maintaining enough pressure once you turn the A/C on, you can see this thing flopping around when the engine is on. So maybe just one less inch? Anybody on here ever have to run less than a 60" belt?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Well using goodyears chart on their website, next smallest belt with six ribs is 3/4" smaller. I think I'm going to try to order that, I shouldn't have excessive tension then correct?

I wish I could find a tape measure around my house, the alternator I installed does in fact have a smaller pulley, by about 1/3" across, not sure what that does for circumference as I don't have measurements to figure that out from.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

So yeah the universal part number is 6pk1505. Guess what? Local parts store doesn't have it. So really though I don't think I'm going to have too much tension getting a belt 3/4" smaller correct? Its not like I have much choice, that is the next smaller belt from what I have now, and this one is slipping, which started after I installed this alternator, which I measured today, and the pulley is indeed smaller.

Input? I feel like I'm talking to myself here today!

Goodyear lists that part number on their website, but I can't seem to find it anywhere to buy, I'm about to call them to see whats up.

Belt sizing chart.

OK, scratch that, I found it on Summit.

Need some input on my questions, Summit seems to be the only place that has it, Advance Auto, Autozone, Napa, none seem to carry goodyear belts for some reason, or the universal part number I listed, the PK number.

For some comedy I had to explain to the guy at Advanced Auto about five times why the belt his computer told me to use wasn't going to work, and he still went and brought it out anyway!

Last edited by camar0corey; 06-29-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C, belt tensioner questions