Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much does a header leak affect performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much does a header leak affect performance?

ok i had my Hooker lt's installed with brand new stock GM gaskets and i had bad leaks at the heads on both side... so i swapped out the GM gaskets for Percy's seal for good gaskets and still leaking... i assume it's leaking cause theres a fluttering/ticking sound when im under medium to heavy throttle... it sounds about the same after i switched gaskets but i noticed my car runs stronger now... so how much does an exhaust leak at the heads hurt on power??
i'm wanting to get my car tuned asap but i can't decide if i should go ahead and do it or continue to try and fix this exhaust leak first!
what do u guys think?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
ok i had my Hooker lt's installed with brand new stock GM gaskets and i had bad leaks at the heads on both side... so i swapped out the GM gaskets for Percy's seal for good gaskets and still leaking... i assume it's leaking cause theres a fluttering/ticking sound when im under medium to heavy throttle... it sounds about the same after i switched gaskets but i noticed my car runs stronger now... so how much does an exhaust leak at the heads hurt on power??
i'm wanting to get my car tuned asap but i can't decide if i should go ahead and do it or continue to try and fix this exhaust leak first!
what do u guys think?
Fix the exhaust leak first
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fix the leak then tune.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The above posts are correct. The leak can affect the readings of the O2 sensors. Fix the leak then tune.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
The above posts are correct. The leak can affect the readings of the O2 sensors. Fix the leak then tune.
ok will do.... how can i tell for sure that it's leaking? i'm almost positive it is but maybe i'm just paranoid... i'm mostly basing it on the fact that this car sounds alot different then my last one did which was a 2001 with pacesetters... whats a good way to check for the leak?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was in the same position a few mths back definitely fix the leak. Your not loosing much power but like the other guys have said it sets other readings off.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

To check for leaks I go over where all the connections are on the collectors, y-pipe, intermediate, over the axle, and muffler. I look for any black exhaust markings.

I also use Percy's seal-for-good along with Stage 8 locking header bolts and have never had a single issue with any leaks...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Launching!

well the only place it's been leaking is at the header flanges... everywhere else is sealed up good. i also used the Percy's seal for good gaskets but i'm almost positive it's still leaking at the flanges so what is the best way to test and see if i have a leak around the flanges??
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

so can somebody tell me how i can test to see if my headers are definately leaking at the flanges? i want to know for sure before i pay again to have them taken off and messed with... if i find out they def are leaking im gonna take them off and have them milled flat and maybe even use some rtv.... i want to get it tuned asap so this leaking is killing me.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say pull them of and check to make sure that they are a flat face. You have gone through and re tightened all the header bolts i assume.

why dont you just pull them off yourself? It jsut take a good buddy or two and an (i believe) 10MM socket

Quick Reply: how much does a header leak affect performance?