Anyone build/fly RC Model Aircraft/Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone build/fly RC Model Aircraft/Jets?

I am sitting here trying to think of what I can give to my father for this big Sunday event. He really is a hard person to shop for. I remember when I was younger, he purchased a really expensive starter kit for building your own RC model aircraft. I think it was a couple hundred bucks, which may not be a lot, in the world of scale 300 MPH jets, but to a 7 or 8 year old, its quite a chunk a change. Anyway, we never got around to messing with that kit. Drama happened, blah blah blah, fast forward to today, 16-17 years later, I want to try and get back in to this with him.

So, anyone in Houston know of a good starter hobby shop that specializes in RC model aircraft? I don't need it by this Sunday as I am pretty sure were not going to hang out this Sunday as he is busy working.

Let me know, TIA!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know when I was younger, I was always into the RC helicopters, and aircrafts. It's a fun hobby, but it gets expensive quick (like all really fun hobbies do). I think when I was doing it, I would go to hobby lobby, or order online. There was also this local hobby store in the valley called the green beret, and they had all kinds of bad *** RC ****. I wish I had the time to get back into it. It's fun.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Teching In

ive been a customer of larry's hobbies for like 15 yrs, they are great to do buisness with.id look into a small eletric trainer.its gonna be $300+ for everything.another option is to order is from hobby city.id steer away from and jets or edf's if he hasnt flown before.stick with something with the wing on top and made out of epp foam,its strong stuff that wont break when crashed. here is a link to the aircraft,if you have any questions just let me know, i dont mind helping you pick out the right plane.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Teching In

oops, here is the link. sould be able to get him somthing for $150ish,w/ charger batteries radio ect.http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...1&v=&sortlist=
Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Teching In

where are you located?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

I bought an E-flite Apprentice electric powered 58" wing span plane a couple months ago from http://rchobbyshop.com/ I've flown it multiple times and so far so good. They will match the mail order prices.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I am sitting here trying to think of what I can give to my father for this big Sunday event. He really is a hard person to shop for. I remember when I was younger, he purchased a really expensive starter kit for building your own RC model aircraft. I think it was a couple hundred bucks, which may not be a lot, in the world of scale 300 MPH jets, but to a 7 or 8 year old, its quite a chunk a change. Anyway, we never got around to messing with that kit. Drama happened, blah blah blah, fast forward to today, 16-17 years later, I want to try and get back in to this with him.

So, anyone in Houston know of a good starter hobby shop that specializes in RC model aircraft? I don't need it by this Sunday as I am pretty sure were not going to hang out this Sunday as he is busy working.

Let me know, TIA!
Go to rc hobby shop on 59 and I think diaryashford. Its in sugarland same parking lot as berry hills restruant. Ask for chris he's the manger .good buddy of mine. If I was you I would start off with the flight stimlater game. Its couple hundread. But its the real thing. And has complete one on one traing and everyrhing.I'm currtly trying to master it. Its very frustrating. And in the long run cheaper. Cus u don't have keep buying parts to rebuild after ur crash. Comes with a controller like the rc palnes. And its a pc game. Preety cool. Has over 30 diffrent jets and helicopter and planes.

Last edited by Rob's 02 SS; 06-19-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out towerhobbies. i bought both of my remote control vehicles from them.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice guys. I have no idea what I am shopping for as I don't RC anything.

Originally Posted by dan catalyst
oops, here is the link. sould be able to get him somthing for $150ish,w/ charger batteries radio ect.http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...1&v=&sortlist=
Do they have a local store?

Originally Posted by 14SecV6
where are you located?
I'm in Houston, off of 610/Shepard

Originally Posted by Larry
I bought an E-flite Apprentice electric powered 58" wing span plane a couple months ago from http://rchobbyshop.com/ I've flown it multiple times and so far so good. They will match the mail order prices.
I will have to check them out as well.

Originally Posted by Rob's 02 SS
Go to rc hobby shop on 59 and I think diaryashford. Its in sugarland same parking lot as berry hills restruant. Ask for chris he's the manger .good buddy of mine. If I was you I would start off with the flight stimlater game. Its couple hundread. But its the real thing. And has complete one on one traing and everyrhing.I'm currtly trying to master it. Its very frustrating. And in the long run cheaper. Cus u don't have keep buying parts to rebuild after ur crash. Comes with a controller like the rc palnes. And its a pc game. Preety cool. Has over 30 diffrent jets and helicopter and planes.
Do they have starter kits? Something we could assemble together?

I have no problem getting a starter kit that is cheaper and we need to assemble and buy parts for later. I used to build tons of models when I was younger and I remember the kit he bought involved a lot of assembly.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Default Arf

get an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) kit. much faster to get together and in the air. Electric is also simple compared to nitro. have fun.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

hope the link works, but this is what I bought back in the day when I started flying. easy to assemble(basically just put the wings together, and assemble the tail), comes with a good radio, good engine, and everything you need to assemble it. The price may be a bit high, but remember the engine and radio can be used on anything else you want as long as its around the same size.

If you or him already have a radio and engine, the plane itself is only like 90 bucks.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1461
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

I have no problem getting a starter kit that is cheaper and we need to assemble and buy parts for later. I used to build tons of models when I was younger and I remember the kit he bought involved a lot of assembly.
The kit I bought took about an hour to build. It's an ARF (Almost Ready to fly) There are kits that take many hours to build, particularly the gas powered. Gas powered will cost more than electric and a lot more troublesome. What ever you decide on if you have not flown before be sure you are efficient on the assimilator or have a friend with you that knows how to fly or you will crash.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice guys. I have no idea what I am shopping for as I don't RC anything.

Do they have a local store?

I'm in Houston, off of 610/Shepard

I will have to check them out as

Yes they have trianer ones. They mad outa foam and are decnt priced. Also there's a hobby shop on 1960. And another its on chimany rock and bellire. They have a very large selection.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Launching!

also if looking for a trainer,check out hobby lobby they carry the same traner planes hobby shops do
Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet, definitely going to get a trainer, as I am sure it has been years since he has flown. Nitro would be fun down the road. I am thinking about just getting the plane for now, as I am a college student trying to support my g/f that just graduated, and is jobless.

I am hoping the idea, thought, and memory will be worth much more than the $55 bare plane, haha.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

sweet, definitely going to get a trainer, as I am sure it has been years since he has flown. Nitro would be fun down the road. I am thinking about just getting the plane for now, as I am a college student trying to support my g/f that just graduated, and is jobless.

I am hoping the idea, thought, and memory will be worth much more than the $55 bare plane, haha.
A $55 kit is barely even a starting point.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand, but I am thinking we can start with the foam plane only, and when my g/f gets a job, has some interviews next week, we can take another step towards the controllers, motors, etc.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Teching In

hobby city doesnt have a local shop, just mail order. the shop on 1960 is larry's hobbies,and hobby city has the best prices by far on anything r/c with it still being hobby quality and not a toy. trust me, ive been flying for like 15 years.hobby city is 1/4 of the price of a local hobby shop.brushless motors are like $10,not $50,batterys are like $7 not $30,chargers for $20 not $60 ect.the only good part about buying at the local hobby shop is that you can go aske them questions about the products you buy, but with all the info on the internet you can figure it out on your own or just ask one of us.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTbAvnTAak

Be a man and start out with something like this.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTbAvnTAak

Be a man and start out with something like this.

how much does something like that run??