View Full Version : Anyone buy the ebay roll cage?

98Camarod
06-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it installed and how the fitment was

DMH Fabrication
06-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't think a roll cage is something you want to buy off ebay! Don't risk your own safety to save money when it comes to a roll cage. Unless it's a well know company selling on ebay.

SSPerformance
06-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Not only do you not want to risk your safety but do a favor for the guy who will be welding the cage in! If you're worried about fitment it will be a big headache. Wolfe Racecraft makes a nice cage we have them in both of our cars.

98Camarod
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Not only do you not want to risk your safety but do a favor for the guy who will be welding the cage in! If you're worried about fitment it will be a big headache. Wolfe Racecraft makes a nice cage we have them in both of our cars.

I'll be welding the cage in, that's why I asked about fitment.

As for safety, the exact same thickness is used with each company. The jig notching is included in the ebay cage, but is an extra $325 option with the wolfe racecraft cage.

It's really stupid how people automatically think ebay is an unsafe/cheap alternative. Do some research on what you buy and you could save some money/time.

SSPerformance
06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
You get what you pay for...

98Camarod
06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
You get what you pay for...

Hopefully someone will chime in that has actually purchased the cage. I get what you're saying, but they are the same thickness and material.

studderin
06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Wolfe makes some great stuff. Im really happy with the fit on there setup for a street car. I hada bolt in steel, and went to a weld in 4130. But I got some tubes not fitting that great, Called and david sent me a new hoop, paided for shipping and and everything. Took a little longer than said, and I had to change some other stuff still. I know shit happens, and not complaining. For bending some tubing shippining across the US and around the world to un knows places and cars. Including hacked up cars, and retards working on them. Takes some balls and skills to do, but even the best stuff has bad days.

I know eaby sucks and all, but heard what I think your talking about is form a chassie shop called SOS or SSS or somthing here in the US: south carilina??? They sell them on Egay, but its not over seas junk. Heard some guys on here were happy with them, and the shop dose good work, and it is a US part. Look them up and I'm sure you can find a shop number and call and talk to the guys bending them and get were the tubing is from even. (US)

DMH Fabrication
06-19-2010, 08:14 PM
As for safety, the exact same thickness is used with each company.

So that means it's the same quality tubing on ebay?

And like I said before, if it's a well known company then you should be fine with the ebay cage. W/o a link or something no one knows what company it is from.

03 BUSA
06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
You are putting something almost permanent in your car. Spend a little extra and get a name to stand behind the product. Call Eric at Midwest Chassis, best price you'll find on quality piece. I like Wolfe also just not the wait time for one.

camscam02
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
what cage?? post the link or let me know the company.

I know eaby sucks and all, but heard what I think your talking about is form a chassie shop called SOS or SSS or somthing here in the US: south carilina??? They sell them on Egay, but its not over seas junk. Heard some guys on here were happy with them, and the shop dose good work, and it is a US part. Look them up and I'm sure you can find a shop number and call and talk to the guys bending them and get were the tubing is from even. (US)

Its SOS or southern outlaw speed, im thinking it is their cage and if so, just because they sell it on ebay doesnt mean its junk, its the best premade cage for these cars available that I have seen with my own eyes and also cheaper, Im putting it in my car right now and have not had to touch anything, and we are very very picky. Its a great piece. Just an FYI,

06-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Cages and bars vary like engines. You could have a 400$ 5.3 or a 52k $ 2000 hp peice of art.

Im doing one now.....that you cant see. A cage that fits BEHIND the oem plastic on the A pillars. The main hoop is IN the roof. The head liner can actually go back in and cover the main hoop. It has more head room now then stock even at the top of the window getting in the car. The only part you will be able to see are the rear bars, and a short section of the main hoop on both sides.

Just depends on what you want. I ve thought about selling pre bent cages, but Im afraid of the complaints I might get because they never did one like I do. Every builder is different.

98Camarod
06-20-2010, 07:08 AM
There is a Southern Outlaw brand but it says its from MIA Motorsports that is chromoly and there is also one from Broke Dick Racing that can be purchased in EWS, DOM, or chromoly

98Camarod
06-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Cages and bars vary like engines. You could have a 400$ 5.3 or a 52k $ 2000 hp peice of art.

Im doing one now.....that you cant see. A cage that fits BEHIND the oem plastic on the A pillars. The main hoop is IN the roof. The head liner can actually go back in and cover the main hoop. It has more head room now then stock even at the top of the window getting in the car. The only part you will be able to see are the rear bars, and a short section of the main hoop on both sides.

Just depends on what you want. I ve thought about selling pre bent cages, but Im afraid of the complaints I might get because they never did one like I do. Every builder is different.

I like the idea, but I don't imagine it working with a t-top car. I really don't care if the cage is seen either.

myth
06-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Have you thought about a comp engineering cage kit. I have one that is sitting in the shop waiting to go in. The tubes are not notched, but they are left a little long so that you can fit them. The price is really good aswell.

As far as being cheap. If the cage fits the rules in the rule book then it is legal. As long as the tubes are the right diameter and they are in the in the correct locations. I am NOT nocking wolfe or any other company. But I am not going to pay a high price for something that I can do.

Shawn @ VA Speed
06-20-2010, 08:15 AM
here is my take on this-

there are so many types of tubing out there-you really cannot be sure what you are getting,thickness means nothing.I have personally seen cheap tubing split right down the seam when impacted.

The only way to be sure what you are getting is from a reputable company that has been used time and time again.

Is it really worth risking your life for a couple hundred dollars?The only reason i am alive today is because of a good quality roll cage that was installed CORRECTLY.I had a high 8 sec car on street tires(which in 99' was a big deal)anyway something in the rear broke at the 1/8 and i barrel rolled 14 times going over 130mph.I walked away with a couple bruises.

I've seen a guy get killed in a 11sec car because he didn't have the proper safety equipement and blew a tire going down the track.If you blow a tire at 100+ mph-what do you think happens?

my point is you can't ever be too cautious when you are dealing with safety on these cars.If your dead-it doesn't matter how much money you saved-does it?

gator's 99TA
06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
agreed with shawn 100%! seriously, its your life.

Villain281H
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Well put Shawn. Plenty of places to save a buck when doing a car, but safety is not an area I'd do it in.

Derek

Broke EF
06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I love how people are always trying to save money, no matter what the repercussions may be. Racing is EXPENSIVE, if you cant handle it pick up a new hobby! Like Shawn said, if your dead that 200 bucks wont matter for shit.

Sean

98Camarod
06-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I got this email today from Chris Diebold regarding his ebay roll cage:

I was half owner in SOS and I broke away. The same people for the last 20 yrs are still building them. SOS actually gets these cages from me. That ad was made when I was just SOS

355TurboLT1
06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Have a custom cage built. This is your life we are talking about here. I just had Clay (LSmonster) of Forrester Racing Engines build me a custom chromoly 10 point cage. He made sure everything was exactly to spec and then some. Everything was taylor made to my dimensions while in the car. You won't get that with a crappy mail order kit. The fit and finish of my cage in awesome.

Do yourself a favor and have a local shop build you a cage.

camscam02
06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I got this email today from Chris Diebold regarding his ebay roll cage:

I was half owner in SOS and I broke away. The same people for the last 20 yrs are still building them. SOS actually gets these cages from me. That ad was made when I was just SOS

Chris is a great guy and the cage he builds is beyond great. I wouldn't endorse a product if I thought it was crap. Everything is top notch and ofnthe upmost quality. Fits perfect and is a great price. And yes it fits better then any premade cage out there as well as most custom ones I have seen with my own eyes.

You guys need to get off the eBay train, just because he sells it there, doesnt mean it's crap and just because it's not advertised on tech doesn't mean it's crap, there are plenty great parts put there that don't gEt mentioned on here.

355TurboLT1
06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Most things on ebay are crap. But thats neither here nor there. A custom built cage done by a skilled builder will always be better than a pre fab job. There are way too many different seat configurations, taller or shorter people and features that a stock f body may or may not have. I really can't believe you are saying this mail order cage is better than most custom cages. Maybe custom cages out of some hillbillys garage, but not out of a reputable shop. No way in hell.

Further if you are serious and have through the floor subframe connectors and the like you can be assured everything will tie in. If there is something that can be made better/stronger you can address it with your specific application.

98Camarod
06-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Cam do you have any pictures of the way the cage arrived and installation pictures?

camscam02
06-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Most things on ebay are crap. But thats neither here nor there. A custom built cage done by a skilled builder will always be better than a pre fab job. There are way too many different seat configurations, taller or shorter people and features that a stock f body may or may not have. I really can't believe you are saying this mail order cage is better than most custom cages. Maybe custom cages out of some hillbillys garage, but not out of a reputable shop. No way in hell.

Further if you are serious and have through the floor subframe connectors and the like you can be assured everything will tie in. If there is something that can be made better/stronger you can address it with your specific application.

You are taking my words out of context, I said that I have seen with MY own eyes. There is also many people out there that build custom cages that do CRAP jobs plain and simple. What I am stating is that the cage listed on ebay under SOS, is a great fitting great quality premade cage and probably 95% of the people would be happy with it. :drive:

camscam02
06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Cam do you have any pictures of the way the cage arrived and installation pictures?

I do not have any quality pics right now, maybe within a few weeks if I can get home and get it finished

venom99
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
there cages are good a sponser on hear sells them so there you go

myth
06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
You people crack me up, yall are talking about pre made cages being crappy. What the hell do you think you are getting when you buy a wolfe cage? And NO im not knocking on wolfe. It is pre made. Just because someone sells a product on ebay doesnt mean its crap. And no Im not going to pay out of the ass for something that I can do. Do you pay someone to turn your computer on for you?

355TurboLT1
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Turning on your computer and building a rollcage! What a great comparison :eyes:

myth
06-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Its simply a comparison. Dont be an ass.

monster81
06-21-2010, 04:13 AM
op: u can get a 10 point cage from Competition Engineering for $300

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-3231-K/

venom99
06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
but is it chromolly and bent and notched and ready to weld nope i bought that comp kit its junk

dragpny
12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
op: u can get a 10 point cage from Competition Engineering for $300

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-3231-K/

Thats if you want to add a ton of weight to a car. My Comp rollbar weighed more than my 10 point moly cage. Buy the cage from MIA its good stuff.

MrElectric03
12-23-2010, 11:05 PM
FWIW I bought an SOS cage from KY Speed(same cage sold on ebay).The quality was really nice. I had a local shop come by and give me an estimate for install and they asked what I paid, they said for what I paid they couldnt even get the raw material much less bend and notch it. I never got it installed and ended up buying a roller with a cage already done. If I were to put together another car id buy another one in a heartbeat.

jsafe
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2610/fire013.jpg

Mine is from ebay and it took a lot of triming to make it fit I think they error on the side of too much material.. if you have a good welder and skills to do minor fab wrk its fine .. I would go with wolf next time I think for the money~

camscam02
12-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Thats not the same cage we are talking about^

jsafe
12-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Thats not the same cage we are talking about^

thats cool its the one I am talking about and others..

camscam02
12-25-2010, 12:17 AM
thats cool its the one I am talking about and others..

The one you have is not from SOS or MIA, not even close. It looks like a comp engineering one to me

Shon Herron
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I just drive down to summit and pick one up.

TrikeMike
12-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I just drive down to summit and pick one up.
Yeah, and it fits like ass.

Dropping my car off tomorrow to get the Wolfe Roll bar welded in, 6pt bar but I am also having him weld in the two extra bars to make it an 8pt.

Shon Herron
12-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Yeah, and it fits like ass.

Dropping my car off tomorrow to get the Wolfe Roll bar welded in, 6pt bar but I am also having him weld in the two extra bars to make it an 8pt.
Fro $200 and an afternoon it did the job, no show car here, just a bolt on car to have fun with
http://www.herronperformance.com/assets/images/Roll_bar_installed.JPG

98Camarod
12-31-2010, 06:20 AM
Hey shon, does that go through the dash?

Shon Herron
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey shon, does that go through the dash?

That was the "8 pt" bar but we did not put in the door bars (2pts) nor the angled bars to the center of the tunnel, like the one pictured in a few post above mine. They do make the additional bars that can be added, I THINK, I have not looked yet, have not needed it, too slow....

And as one person noted, there is some additional material on the bars so you will have to cut it but mine came jig notched on the ends that needed it so that was very helpful.