Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to keep it street legal.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to keep it street legal.

I tried a search for a few hours but it wasn't really getting me anywhere, so I apologize if this has been asked 500x before. But I'm ready to start moding my SS now that it's actually mine haha. I plan on starting with a full exhaust but I want to make sure it will pass NC inspection. I realize that LT are illegal anywhere but I am still going that route. Anyway I was wondering what would be the setup I would need to pass the emissions inspection here I was looking at the pacesetter and Texas speed y pipe combo with high-flow cats. This one: http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=181&catid=8
would that pass?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think LT's are necessarily illegal, not unless you are running full race headers without the provisions anyways.

Much will be determined by your future mods, but for a start keep most of your smog control systems like the egr/air if it has them. You don't list a year so it is a bit harder to specify but in most cases, cats and a good tuner are your best friends.

The combo should work however as long as you don't get too excited with other mods down the road.

Others may know a better smog friendly Y route though.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
I don't think LT's are necessarily illegal, not unless you are running full race headers without the provisions anyways.

Much will be determined by your future mods, but for a start keep most of your smog control systems like the egr/air if it has them. You don't list a year so it is a bit harder to specify but in most cases, cats and a good tuner are your best friends.

The combo should work however as long as you don't get too excited with other mods down the road.

Others may know a better smog friendly Y route though.
Federal law says it is illegal to move your catalytic converters from the stock location. You could put 50 cats in a row behind LT's and it will STILL be illegal in all 50 states. Some states are lenient on the inspection however and you might pass anyways.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you in NC?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

It's a 2002 and I'm located in Carteret County. My end goal is full exhaust (Long tubes, high flow cats and a cut out) and some intake stuff (ls6 manifold and larger throttle body). Nothing too intensive just some stuff to add a little more pep to its step. I think I can get away with having long tubes here as long as it passes emissions crap.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can speak for NJ which has some of the toughest if not the toughest emissions/ inspection around and as long as you stay catted and your not throwing any codes you should be fine w/ the LT's.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Federal law says it is illegal to move your catalytic converters from the stock location. You could put 50 cats in a row behind LT's and it will STILL be illegal in all 50 states. Some states are lenient on the inspection however and you might pass anyways.
Really?

I'm glad I live in small town USA then. Never had to put my car through an emissions test here.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

i live in winston salem nc and have LT with ORY pipe and pass with flying colors
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zanethan
It's a 2002 and I'm located in Carteret County. My end goal is full exhaust (Long tubes, high flow cats and a cut out) and some intake stuff (ls6 manifold and larger throttle body). Nothing too intensive just some stuff to add a little more pep to its step. I think I can get away with having long tubes here as long as it passes emissions crap.
Longtubes won't be a problem. If you get your rear o2 sensors tuned out and don't have a serious visual inspection then you should be in the clear.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what kind of inspection do you have there? i have LTs with cats and i just go to a private facility to get my sticker.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Just a plain safety and emissions inspection. Should be contacting Texas speed tomorrow and possibly ordering depends on if I sell my truck tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

I drove mine for eight years passing inspection and I just got busted
this inspection. If they look underneath you will fail. I regret I went this route.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zanethan
Just a plain safety and emissions inspection. Should be contacting Texas speed tomorrow and possibly ordering depends on if I sell my truck tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
Great company, INSANELY high shipping prices.

ws6store.com is the best place to buy LS/LT parts, unless you are looking for heads/cam stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'm In onslow county and you just have to go to a place that doesnt do a hardcore visual. Just get all your your O2's tuned out and you will be fine. Most shops love our cars and will be more impressed in how it sounds than anything, thats how I passed. Rev it up and do a burnout and youll pass is what my guy said.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I can speak for NJ which has some of the toughest if not the toughest emissions/ inspection around and as long as you stay catted and your not throwing any codes you should be fine w/ the LT's.
Not to spark debate, but California is by far the most strict. You aren't allowed to do ANY sort of modification to an "economical" vehicle, they'll steal your daughters stuffed animals it's so bad. Many site state on there "Will not ship to California due to their laws" It's pretty stupid

Originally Posted by john shea
I drove mine for eight years passing inspection and I just got busted
this inspection. If they look underneath you will fail. I regret I went this route.
Curious as to the consequences to failing an emissions test? I've only heard of one in the 22 years I've lived here. (Wichita, KS) Bout to do an LT with TD setup and curious if I need to make sure to have my fun before they decide to crush my car for embarassing their's.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunrock_T/A_0811
Most shops love our cars and will be more impressed in how it sounds than anything, thats how I passed. Rev it up and do a burnout and youll pass is what my guy said.

And zanethan you already have an ls6 intake on your car, 2002 and I believe 2001 also came with ls6 intakes. 1 less part to buy just get your throttle body ported and polished. Surprised nobody caught that though..

Search this Thread