Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 synchro wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 synchro wear

It's my first time tearing down a transmission. Today I took my t56 down to all its parts. It was one I bought off a guy on craigslist, so I figured I needed to break it down to see the shape its in. Well, it looks like my second gear and my countershaft are chipped pretty bad.

I'm assuming this means I need to replace them (definitely the 2nd gear, the countershaft isn't bad-bad.. and it's expensive, I'm going to see what I can do to find a second hand one for a reasonable price)

My real question is the synchros. Below shows basically how worn they are. Does this look bad to you (needing to be replaced)? I'm not really sure, I may replace them anyway just so it's nice and fresh. Sorry I have to ask, I'm just not familiar with transmissions.

Huge thanks to greysteel_M6 though for his how-to and posting of that manual. That made taking it apart pretty easy.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

I would definately replace the 2nd gear. The new one should be the updated version with longer engaugement teeth on it. The cluster gears are pricey and reusing yours is possible although without having the gear magnafluxed, its impossible to know how much damage is done to that tooth. Syncro assemblies are designed to take the abuse and they are intended to be replaced as needed.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Take it from me, replace anything that doesn't look right or feel right to you. Save yourself the headaches of having to take the trans out more than once and or having something else go wrong...especially since you already have it apart.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I replaced a counter shaft with only 1 chipped tooth. It was pricey.... but no headaches later. I would just suck it up!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

My advise would be to part out what you have and buy another unit. That would be cheaper in the long run.

If not, I would replace the cluster/2nd gear/1-2 slider.

Quick Reply: T56 synchro wear