Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

best trac loc diff for 9"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best trac loc diff for 9"

What is the best trac loc differential for a 9"? Im looking for one thats going to hold up well and be quiet on the street, I do more street than strip. Theyre are about 5 or 6 different companies that make a variant of the trac loc, theyre priced around the same but the descriptions from all of them are different. I know they're all based off of the ford unit, just seems like they all have small differences. Im leaning towards the moser mainly because thats the housing I have, but it doesnt say if it has a billet clutch cover or not. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

with your power and the T56 you be stupid to not get the wavetrac...few hundred $ more will shave you alot of headaches...trust me
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

At your power level a LSD is gonna be the weak point in your rear end.A wavetrac would probably be the best one.I think the aftermarket trac locs are stronger than the Ford ones but probably not by a whole lot.Have you checked out the Yukon Gear trac locs?They are a stronger unit than the average ones.I don't know-you might get some chatter in turns from it but with your power(and 6 speed)you are going to need a strong differential IMO.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

i can tell you that the wavetrac is smooth as butter in turns...better driving then stock
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill tell ya Ive got a locker in mine and its actually pretty good. I dont get any racheting really in turns and its nice and quiet. Plus its cheeper than the wavetrac
Old 06-20-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a locker now and absolutely hate it. I've considered the wave trac but thats alot of cash to throw down for a diff, plus I only have 31 spline axles now, so that would be a few hundred more for new axles. But I do like the fact that it has a lifetime warranty, anybody know if its still in effect if the car is raced?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

it does not matter what you do with the car it is lifetime. the point of the diff is it can be raced and still be used on the street. its 35 spline

lockers suck and spools suck on the street...its just up to you weather you can deal with the suck...for me since i was spending so much already a few more $ did not matter and i wanted to do it right the first time
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jerflash
it does not matter what you do with the car it is lifetime. the point of the diff is it can be raced and still be used on the street. its 35 spline

lockers suck and spools suck on the street...its just up to you weather you can deal with the suck...for me since i was spending so much already a few more $ did not matter and i wanted to do it right the first time
I would have almost $1k more into this than I would if I got just about any other diff, by the time I get done with the wavetrac. I cant justify that, especially since this is more of a street than strip car.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Same here...it being a street car is the reason to go with the wavetrac. Do what you want but the first time you go to the track on a good tire and actually hook your gonna wish you did listen to me but who knows you may get lucky
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Trac-Loc - You have too much power for it.
Detroit Locker - I wouldn't recommend it with your manual transmission.
Wavetrac - Requires upgrading from your 31 spline axles to 35 spline axles. The Wavetrac will handle the power but will be an expensive upgrade.
Spool - If your car spends most of it's time on highways or rural country roads, then you might want to consider a spool. The only time I normally notice when I am driving a car with a spool is when I make left or right turns in intersections. The inner tire will scrub, which does accelerate tire wear. If your car spends a lot of time in an inner city environment, then I would stay away from a spool. Parallel parking with a spool is not impossible, but it does require a lot more finesse to get the job done. I know, as I tried it several years ago to see if it could be done. If you try to do a u-turn with a car with a spool, you'll find you cannot turn nearly as tight. The car will want to continue to plow forward instead of turning. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Hey bob exactly why do you not reccommend a detroit locker for a manual transmission? Thx..
Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^ Hey bob exactly why do you not reccommend a detroit locker for a manual transmission? Thx..
I have had several people who had trouble shifting at part throttle speeds after they installed a rear with a locker. Basically with a locker the driveshaft will have more play in it which can cause the problem. At wide open throttle the problem goes away. Many people have lockers and manual transmissions without having shifting problems, so it is an intermittent problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I have had several people who had trouble shifting at part throttle speeds after they installed a rear with a locker. Basically with a locker the driveshaft will have more play in it which can cause the problem. At wide open throttle the problem goes away. Many people have lockers and manual transmissions without having shifting problems, so it is an intermittent problem. Bob
I also notice an issue at lower, part throttle speeds with a lopey cam, it makes it chug and jerk much more than with my previous differential.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

I just went to a locker from a trac lok and its a big differnce. Basically need to relearn the car. Once you get used to shifting and turning its not that bad. But Im just happy I do alot of highway driving
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

You can run a Detroit Truetrac if you have the 31 spline axles. At 600hp level you will be fine unless it is something you plan on taking to the track often and beating the crap out of the car. But for street driveability the Treu trac is going to be the smoothest out of all the positractions in a 31 spline.

Here is a link.......

http://www.jawsgear.com/Positraction...duct_info.html

Jeff