General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

not sure if it's the water pump or wp gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not sure if it's the water pump or wp gaskets

Been battling high temps for a few weeks now. Finally noticed that there's coolant leaking.

I'm not sure if it's the water pump itself or the gaskets. (I'm pretty sure it's not the gaskets though.)

I've heard of the water pump weep hole's seal going bad, causing a leak. I'm wondering if this is what this is. I tried to take a pic as best I could:

The ridge underneath the water pump is wet with coolant. Would this be because of the weep hole; should I go ahead and get a new water pump?

Wanted to see what you guys would do before I spend some $$ at the parts store.

Thanks again for any help/advice
Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your timing cover has coolant marks definitely can tell that the pump has been leaking for a few weeks!! pump is BAD buy a new ONE!!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to go all that way to change gaskets, might as well put on a new water pump while you're at it. They aren't that expensive.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think it's the gaskets. They were new when I put them on, but there's no telling how old the water pump is since I got it used.

I was looking at Edelbrock's 8896 but over $300 without a pulley is a little much for a (mostly) stock engine. I'll probably end up getting the lmperformance water pump (~$150); it's supposed to flow a little more than stock.

I appreciate the responses guys, thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Pull it off and leak test it.

Replace the gasket while you're in there.

Done.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its a good opportunity to upgrade.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Default got the water pump off

made a huge mess. I pretty much bathed in antifreeze. Neat.

Took a pic of the pump while it was out. Does this look like a weep hole stain to anyone?:

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

New pump it is. Thanks Bro Inc
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default newb questions on installing a thermostat

got the new waterpump from LMP. Got a new 160° tstat also...I noticed that when I put the tstat on, the circular part (circled in green below) is a pretty tight fit inside the metal lip the arrow is pointing to. Is it normal for it to be pretty tight? I just want to check and make sure so I don't damage anything.

Also, the instructions for installing the tstat didn't say to use any rtv sealant or gasket maker, just the black o-ring it came with. Would it hurt to use some rtv between the water pump and the thermostat surfaces (highlighted in purple below)? Or should I install it dry?

Thanks again for any help!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No gasket sealant is needed....never had a leak and go to a 180* stat every winter and switch back to 160* every Summer for 3 years....
Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default update - not going well

Am I missing something here?

• Got the new water pump from lmp
• got a new Hypertech 160° thermostat (PN 1014)
• cleaned the surface areas for the water pump gaskets
• put a little black RTV gasket sealant/maker on the block to hold the new water pump gaskets in place
• put the water pump on, torqued the bolts, first pass at 11 lb ft, second pass at 18 lb ft
• put water pump idler pulley on, torqued to 37 lb ft
• put belt on

• poured half a gallon of Dex Cool in radiator
• poured 2 bottles of RedLine Water Wetter in radiator
• poured distilled water into radiator until full

Started the car with the radiator cap off, no leaks from where the gaskets are, but when the car hit 170° on the temp gauge, coolant just started pouring out like crazy out of the radidator cap/fill hole. I thought it was a big air bubble trying to get out, but looked at the temp gauge again, and it was at 220°.

Ten minutes later I started the car again, same thing. 170° and coolant starts pouring out of the fill hole. Check gauge, 225°.

What is the deal??? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You've got an airpocket, which is causing steam inside the coolant system. I like to crack open the coolant crossover on the front of the driver's side head and let the air out of the system.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

ok, if by coolant crossover you mean the tube that goes from one head to the other, here's a pic of the hose that goes from it into the radiator spout, right under the radiator cap. I expected coolant to start flowing from that hose since it's higher, but instead, the coolant fluid started building up and pouring out of the radiator spout:

If I put that hose back on that spout, coolant just pours out of the filler hole.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

ok well...

Thought it might be the thermostat so I took it off. I put an LS2 thermostat on to keep coolant from pouring out everywhere. Put the thermostat I took off in a pot of boiling water, and it opened so I guess it's good. I didn't put it back on the car though, I left the LS2 one on the water pump.

The coolant overflow tank was totally empty so I put some distilled water in there. Put the rad cap on, but left the overflow cap off. Watched my gauge and it stayed at 170°!!

Turned the car off, let it cool a little, opened the rad cap, closed up the overflow tank cap, put some more distilled water/dexcool/water wetter in the radiator until it was full, put the cap back on, and it stayed at 170 so I took it out for a drive. Never overheated, so I think I'm good.

When I got on the highway at did 80 mph for about 15 seconds, the temps did get to about 220° (slowly). My transmission is a TH400 with no overdrive, so it was at ~4000rpm when at 80mph. It never got into the red though. Air dam pieces are on.

I have a feeling if I kept driving it at that speed it might have overheated. Do you guys think I should get a bigger radiator and/or bigger fans if I'm going to keep the TH400?

Quick Reply: not sure if it's the water pump or wp gaskets