Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y Pipe vs. X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y Pipe vs. X pipe

Just curious on everbody's thoughts on the two. I just want to get my exhaust. I currently have the ls extreme headers and after talking to Justin he mentioned that only their Y fits right on with their headers. They currently have a complete system that dumps before the axle, but I want to run it completely out. He mentioned that their system is tuned and all that so I am not sure of all the issues with just extending there system all the way out the back.

I'm not keen to the specifics of all the technicals of all of this, but I just wanna get er done.

My motor is completely stock for the moment. Probally move up to some ls6 heads and a cam eventually but for now I am stock

Benefits of either or set up would be appreciated...
Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

xpipe will give you alittle more power. i run a xpipe with ture duals because it sounds so much better than a ypipe just my .02 cents
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True duals all the way! They sound amazing, and you get a bit more power out of them.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with you guys. True duals all the way. Go to LS1sounds or Youtube and listen to the difference. You'll see what we're talking about.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, TD flow better since they aren't ramming two pipes into one. No matter how good your Y is, you are still slamming air together at some point.

As for out the back, it depends how you do it. Some go the exxtra mile and go over the rear axle. This can add more bends to the pipe which doesn't help flow, but will allow you to run straight back. The problem here is cost as most of these have to be custom fabricated from the end of your dual set-up out the back, preferably from a GOOD exhaust shop.

The alternative is under the axle which just means a set of straight pipes with the possibility of a slight bend or two to get them going straight out the back. The issue here is clearance. If you plan on lowering you car, you run more risk of scraping your pipes.

Dumping right under the car tends to be the safest best with most dual systems, but it comes with more noise given they dump under the cabin instead of behind it.

Quick Reply: Y Pipe vs. X pipe