Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car won't start

Alright,

I place the key in the ignition and it dings at me. I turn it one click and the interior lights pop on and some of the accessories spring to life (though not the radio). I turn it to start and everything goes completely dead. When I turn it back off I get this clicking noise that goes for a good 15 or so seconds before settling down and stopping.

I'm baffled.

I checked some of the fuses and I can't find an issue, the starter and alternator seem fine. I'm thinking something along the lines of the ignition but I've not done a lot of work with such so I don't know.

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda odd but...have you taken off the leads to the battery posts and made sure they were tight, and no corrosion in between them?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Battery connections are fine. Some interweb searching leans heavily towards the ignition switch so I'll start there tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I went outside to fiddle with the car and it starts right up, though the idle took a moment to even itself out.

So I am dumbfounded again. I found water dripping underneath though so I think with the severity of the rains we have been having, water got in somewhere and was playing lets make a deal with my electrical system.

I also had some drip out of my HVAC at the firewall and the wife has a habit of using the A/C where as I just use my windows. I might end up pulling that entire system to see if there is a leak somewhere, then garage it since we don't get enough heat for me to care about a/c anyways (s'why I have t-tops). It can always be put back if I ever decide to sell the car anyways.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id say ignition fuse or starter but u said you checked those...hmm..
Old 06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the starter seems fine and as I said it started back up, and were it the issue I don't think it would have completely blacked out the car when it was in the "on position" right before it activates the starter.

I might pull the ignition fuses and replace anyways just to be sure though as they are pretty up there in age as is.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Yeah, the starter seems fine and as I said it started back up, and were it the issue I don't think it would have completely blacked out the car when it was in the "on position" right before it activates the starter.

I might pull the ignition fuses and replace anyways just to be sure though as they are pretty up there in age as is.

It Seems You May Have A Short In You Ignition Switch.... When You Go To Start The Car The Ignition Is Shorting Out Causing The Loss Of Power As For The Clicking Idk About That...

I'm Not 100% On That But It Is A Possible Problem Hope It Helps.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99TA-LS1
It Seems You May Have A Short In You Ignition Switch.... When You Go To Start The Car The Ignition Is Shorting Out Causing The Loss Of Power As For The Clicking Idk About That...

I'm Not 100% On That But It Is A Possible Problem Hope It Helps.
Yeah, I have one coming in the morn from O'Rielly's. Also gonna have my key checked at the stealership and replace a few relays. Here is hoping.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like the ignition switch was the culprit. Put the new one in and the car feels more awake now then it has in a while.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Looks like the ignition switch was the culprit. Put the new one in and the car feels more awake now then it has in a while.
Glad To Hear Everything Worked Out And Your Back On The Road.