LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad plug?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Bad plug?

Saturday I replaced the TR55s in my car with TR6s. My tuner slapped the 55s in after I fouled the iridiums with first startup, fiddling, etc. My SCR is between 11.1:1 and 11.2:1. DCR is about 8.62:1 so I went one step colder with the TR6s and a .045 gap to see how it'd feel. I've been chasing down iritating intermittent ignition issues (my OCD). That's why I did some research and chose the plugs and gap I did. Started to gap at .041, but backed off to .045.

Now... when I got the old plugs out they were apparently left at .055 or whatever they were at out of the box . I also noticed that #5 had a black dot on the side of the center electrode. The pic is bad, apologies. I need a decent camera. The dot is distinct all the way around, the electrode is spotless except for this apparent scorch. I'd say this was the cause of occasional low RPM stumbling before it got good and warm. Seat of the pants tells me it's a significant change for the better.

The gap on this plug was .059" The others ranged from .053" to .057. I hate finding others' mistakes after I paid them money and assumed it would be done right.
Attached Thumbnails Bad plug?-img_0048.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took all my parts (AI kit plus consumables) to the performance shop to install. They couldn't get the motor to run right with the NGKs I included. They swapped in a set of ACs and it ran. They said they've had intermittent probs with NGKs.

Quick Reply: Bad plug?